Chapter Nine - New Home

It had been a few days since Connor's incident. No matter how many times Connor would apologize or give Evan permission to go back to his classes or head home, Evan denied. Besides going to the cafeteria to get them food or going to the restroom, Evan never left. If Connor needed anyone right now, it would be right now.

Recently, Doctor Culling, the doctor assigned to Connor's treatment, revealed that in the morning after a quick checkup, he would be free to go. They offered Connor a pair of clothes from the lost and found to leave the hospital in, and he was changing into them in the hospital rooms bathroom while Evan neatly fixed up the bed for the worker's to wash without difficulty.

While Evan was folding the pillowcases from the pillows on the bed, Connor emerged from the bathroom and peeked out. "Uh, what are you doing?" He asked as he walked in, setting the hospital gown on the bed.

Evan took the robe once he set it down and began to fold it. "I'm cleaning up the room."

Connor looked confused, watching Evan fold like a busy grandma. "Why?"

"Because, they clean the room after every patient. It's tiring to have to shake the pillowcases off the pillows, pull off the fitted sheets, and clean everything else. I like to do the very least and at least fold the bedding for them so they can just take the bundle to the washer, not have to struggle with the process of taking it off." He explained, setting the folded robe on the top of the bundle and walking over to the other side of the bed where Connor was standing. "My mom's a nurse and she complains about it a lot."

Connor shrugged, sitting on the mattress away from the folded cloth. His attempt to blink away the sleepy was not successful, and his dark eyebags remained resting under his brown and blue eyes. "When can I leave?" He asked, yawning right after he finished the sentence and looking up at Evan.

Evan stood in front of Connor. "Well, you've already been checked out, so you can be dispatched whenever. Do you need anything before we go? I can call a taxi, it's a bit of a far walk back to your motel.."

"I want to leave now." Connor said quickly, standing to his feet. He wanted to be out of this hospital as soon as possible. "A taxi's fine."

Evan nodded to himself, "Okay." He turned for the door, standing by it waiting for Connor. He could tell by the way that he was closing his eyes and breathing that he was preparing himself to be back in the real world. Working, talking, living alone. "You ready?"

Connor picked his head up. "Yep." He said, standing up and making his way to the door. Evan and him walked out of the hospital together, differences in their faces. Evan seemed relieved to be out, but Connor looked horrified. Being back out here was more overwhelming than he thought it would be. He put his hands into his pockets and took a deep breath, closing his eyes.

Evan managed to wave down a taxi, opening the back door and glancing at Connor, a welcoming smile on his face. "Just tell him your address. It's okay." He encouraged.

Connor got into the taxi, naming the motel he had been staying at and stuffing himself up against the window. Evan turned to him, putting a hand on his leg. "It's going to be okay." He whispered.

The drive home was quiet, the taxi driver didn't speak much, and neither did Evan or Connor. Not to the driver, or to each other. Evan tried his best to comfort Connor but he could tell that there were too many thoughts running through his head as the buildings flew by in the window. By the time they were there, both were eager to get out of the car.

Evan pulled Connor out onto the sidewalk with a helping hand. "It's okay." He whispered, helping the doggish Connor out of the car and continuing to hold his hand. That was until he pulled his hand away and walked into the motel without another word, embarrassed. Evan followed him, wanting to make sure he made it into his motel room safely.