Chapter Four - Birthday Shot

"You're telling me that even after you turned twenty-one, you didn't take yourself out for your first drink? Dude, everyone in college goes out and gets their first shot on their twenty-first birthday!" Connor's voice blared through the phone loud enough to make Evan move the phone away from his ear, eventually putting it on speaker.

"Connor-" He tried to interrupt, laughing nervously. Connor's voice sounded less joking and surprised, he almost sounded angry about it. Like his college life was far from his own and he couldn't relate to him.

"No! You know what-? I'm taking you out for your first drink."

"What? No, I have work and school and studying to do! I can't be out getting drunk and all that, I've got a life!" Evan argued, flopping down onto his bed.

"I think the fact that you don't go out with friends often proves you incorrect. Having a life is spending it in the moment, making memories! Working is.. Adult stuff. We're still in our twenties, we can party and people will just say, 'they're still young, let them have their fun.'" Connor had just gotten off work from the tattoo parlor right before he texted Evan, and figured since he was walking back to where he was staying, it was convenient and safer to call rather than to text. "Come on. Let me take you out for your first drink."

Hearing Connor speak so happily about life and also knowing about his backstory was definitely giving Evan mixed signals. Was this all just a mask to hide what he was going through? Or was he getting better? Was he trying to change his life around, and that's why he showed up in a totally new town?

"I don't know.. I would have to work some time into my schedule.. I have no classes tomorrow, but I work until two."

"Did you think we were going to go in the middle of the day? That's what.. Coffee and lemonade is for. No, we're going late at night, maybe at eight. And we're going to a bar and I'm giving you your first shot." Connor said sternly, "Hold on-" He put Evan on mute.

"Jamba Juice is also a really good place to get drinks in the day-" Evan mumbled, advertising his own job felt a little awkward but most of the time he was just arguing with customers about chunks in the drinks. He could use a few.. Nicer customers to talk to.

Evan waited a few patient minutes for Connor to return, almost falling asleep at 10:30 at night, as if that was late for a kid who stayed up half the night studying. He didn't do it often, but he did when he procrastinated in class, or spent the entire period playing mobile games with Jared.

"Alright." Connor suddenly said loudly into the phone, making Evan drop his phone right onto his nose. He could have sworn it broke.

"Oww! Connor, don't fucking scare me! My phone fell!"

"Haha, where?"

"Right onto my nose!" Evan grumbled, rubbing his nose in agony and sitting up, whining a little.

Connor chuckled a little, sitting on his bed. "Drinks tomorrow. Meet at the coffee shop, since that's the one place I'm familiar with around here. And if you go to college here, you gotta know where it is-"

"I mean, it's the only good coffee shop. Starbucks is always crowded and it's overpriced. This coffee shop is just.. Neat." He smiled dreamily, sipping his coffee since he had forced himself to buy one just to see Connor anyway. "What time do I meet you there?"

"Well, the only bar I know of isn't very far, so maybe 7:45? It'll be dark by then and the bar will just be opening up, so we get first seats at the bar."

"Alright.. Sounds good, Connor." Evan smiled sweetly, "Well- drinking this coffee sure isn't going to help my sleep schedule- Might as well get studying in while it keeps me awake." He chuckled nervously. That was a lie, but people often found it strange that coffee had no effect on him. It didn't make him sleepy or energetic, it just tasted good, it put him in a good mood.