Chapter Eight - I'm Sorry

Evan was frozen in fear, a common side effect of suddenly seeing a body on your way home from a long day at work. His mind was screaming, debating on whether to scream, run or cry. Obviously, anyone would be terrified to see this sight, but Evan was even more terrified because he knew who it was, who was laying in the middle of the alleyway just like a chalked up dead body sketch.

His body reacted without him knowing, and suddenly he had his phone in his hands and he was sobbing to the police as he brushed Connor's hair from his face and cupped his cheek. "Connor.. Connor, i-it's- it's gonna be okay.."

As Evan spoke with the 9-1-1 operator, he was given instructions. He placed his hand on his neck and felt for a pulse, but felt none. "H-He's not- breathing. What do I do?" Evan asked through heartbroken sobs.

"Do you know how to do CPR, sir?" The operator asked.

"Y-yes, I do. Should I start compressions?" He asked, setting the phone down and putting it on speaker.

"Yes, start them right now. The ambulance is on its way to you. Don't stop until the paramedics arrive." She explained.

Evan did as he was told, rolling the lifeless Connor onto his stomach and cupping his hands into a fist, pressing them onto his sternum and beginning compressions. He counted each time before he gave him a breath of air, just trying to keep his heart alive until the paramedics arrived. "Come- on, Connor.. Come on.." He huffed through tired breaths,

Finally, he heard the sirens from afar and looked up, his hands refusing to stop his technique. Out of fear of losing the one man he'd been trying so hard to keep alive, he felt himself wail out a cry of desperation. "Help!" He cried, he knew he couldn't stand up, he had to continue to keep his heart beating manually. As the paramedics came running and jumping out of the ambulance, Evan forced himself away and let them do their job. He wanted nothing more than to beg for them to save him, but he knew they couldn't make any promises.

He listened and watched as the paramedics began to diagnose him for medical assistance, and he heard them mutter something.

"Had to be a synthetic fentanyl overdose. Looks like he's been out for at least an hour, get me four milligrams of naloxone." One said, and the other obeyed. Within 30 seconds, Connor had a needle injected right into his vein, and the previous EMT stood on her knees and began compressions as they waited for the reaction that never came.

Three grueling minutes later of no response to the CPR or the naloxone, and they admitted a second dose into him. Again, they waited, and they compressed. Connor was immobile, unconscious. The paramedic that was administering the compressions had gritted teeth, and she was growing more desperate with each pump of her fists into his chest. "Come on, come on!"

Evan could feel his tears rushing down his face. It was impossible to see through the waves of salty tears, but what he could make out was Connor's cough through all the noise and panic. In reality, he barely knew this guy, but in his mind, it felt like they were connected through their traumatic events and he had this 'chosen one' power to save his life.

He felt himself launch forward and burst through the wall of the EMT's, gathering Connor's half-conscious body into his arms to cry. "Connor.. Connor, oh my god.." He wept, only to be pushed away by the paramedics.

"Sir, please give the medics their room." One of them said sternly, a hand on Evan's chest. Evan sniffled and gripped the hems of his shirt, watching as they loaded up Connor onto a stretcher and hooked him up into the ambulance. The same medic turned over just as she was about to close the doors. "Are you coming?"

Evan looked up at her with a quick nod and rushed over to the ambulance, where he was given a hand and pulled up. He sat on one of the seats against the walls and watched the paramedics. They could do nothing much but keep him stable and prevent him from being entirely unconscious anymore. As of now, he was barely awake, he couldn't even open his eyes to thank the person who called the police in time to save his life. Both were helpless in their position, and the paramedics were no better.