1.

I hated myself for being a stereotype.

I mean a lesbian falling for her best friend- classic right? However this little trope didn't work out in my favor. I admit I put myself out there and knew I'd risk hurting my own feelings as well as our relationship but I had to try right? I had to. I mean I felt a connection between us. The way she looked at me and acted with me it was just.... Special. It was different than any other connect I'd ever had. I wanted her to be my first and maybe my last. I was never secure with myself and especially my body since I was born a little differently than most girls, but she was there and she accepted me. She even helped me through my own insecurities and I was there for day in and day out when her parents were going through that nasty divorce last year. She cried on my shoulder countless nights.

I really thought we had something special but now sitting across my best friend and her new girlfriend, I felt a sort of betrayal and heart break that I'd never felt in my seventeen years of living. It would be different but in my case I think I have the right to be upset....

3 months earlier
June

"Are you sure I should do this?" I asked my older sister, Leah. My nerves were at an all time high right now. I couldn't stop pacing past the window, checking every two seconds to see if she pulled into the driveway or not.

You see, I'm in love. I'm in love with my best friend, Claire Edwards.

My family and I are going away for the summer and I wanted to tell Claire how I really felt before I left. She had gotten to a good place with her parents finally and I thought it was time for a fresh start so when I get back we could finally get the chance to go out. I needed for her to like me back first though and that required telling her about my feelings first.

"Fuck, I Don't think I can do this." I said as I rubbed my forehead.

"Pussy."

My head whipped toward the archway leading to the living room, the annoying one also known as my younger sister, Lake stood there smacking on an apple.

She shrugged. "I'm just saying." She muttered.

"And what does your eighth grade ass know anything about relationships?" I said in annoyance as I crossed my arms.

She rolled her eyes. "Freshman. I'm a freshman now." She smiled widely. "And I'd like to gladly let you know that I have a girlfriend." She quirked a brow at me. "Unlike who? Oh yeah." She pointed at me. "You."

Leah snickered making me blush. "Leah don't entertain her." I grumbled.

She raised her hands in surrender. "Aw, I'm sorry. You know she's just kidding." she said. "You'll be fine. Okay? Just speak from the heart. Tell her how you feel and everything will go well."

"And if it doesn't?" I asked.

She stared at me for a moment before shrugging. "It wasn't meant to be then."

Oh, it's meant to be. It has to be.

I gasped seeing headlights flash by the window. I went to the blinds and cracked them open, my heart rate spiking as I watched Claire turn off her car and get out.

"Shit, it's her. I can't do this." I breathed out with a rabbit in my heart.

Lake rolled her eyes. "Fine. Die a virgin. I'm gonna finish packing." She said and then turned around and walked away. "Yeah real encouraging words Lake!" Leah yelled after her with an irritated look.

Lake's head popped back in with a cheeky smile. "I try." She said and then disappeared again.

Leah rolled her eyes. "You are not gonna die a virgin and you are gonna go out there and tell her how you feel. Right now." She started pushing me towards the door. "Go, go. Or I'll tell her myself."