Chapter 63: Breaking a Bond

Begin

~Normal POV

12/7 - Wednesday

They returned to the tv world immediately after school. Teddie, with some encouragement and a burst of confidence, managed to locate Adachi through scent as he normally did. They didn't particularly care how he was suddenly able to. It might have been a mental block from his issues stopping him before.

But the place he led them to was... familiar. Or rather, it was only familiar to Yu, Yosuke, and Chie. As it turned out, Adachi's "hideout" was that creepy room they found together on their first trip here. The one with all the ripped up posters and the hanging scarf... A fitting location for a madman to hide in. They opened the door and walked in to find him leaning casually against the window. He hardly looked up upon hearing them enter. Instead he kept his gaze out the window.

"That damn bitch..." Adachi muttered bitterly. "I noticed her first... And she just had to run off and have an affair..."

"Adachi..." Yu spoke up, to get his attention.

Adachi turned to them and smiled rather creepily. "Oh... It's you guys. You're very persistent..."

"And you're the one we've been hunting this whole time," Yu replied, "The real killer."

Adachi shrugged, still smiling. "I don't know what you're talking about..."

"You're not lying your way out of this one, damn it!" Yosuke shouted, "Just being here proves it! Answer us! You're the one who threw Ms. Yamano into the tv, aren't you?!"

"It was an accident. She started struggling... What else was I supposed to do?" Adachi laughed casually. "Since you're so curious, I'll tell ya. Yeah, I came down to the inn that night. I wanted to ask her something about that affair. So I asked her all calm and nice like, 'It's not true, is it?' And what does she do? The worthless bitch started giving me lip! Got all hysterical on me. I figured she needed a little shock to clear her head... One thing led to another, and..."

He paused and gestured to Yukiko. "Well, that's a nice big tv you got in your lobby. She just... fell right in. Good thing for me no one else was around there in the middle of the night."

Yukiko shook a little, completely horrified at his words. "That... happened in our lobby...?!"

Adachi continued on nonchalantly, as if he hadn't been interrupted. "I learned about the Midnight Channel through some rumor. You hear a lot of fishy stories like that on the force. But it was pure coincidence that I touched the screen and discovered my power. I burst out laughing when I found out. I knew right away that this was going to be interesting!"

"So you tested it on Mayumi Yamano..."

"Nah, it was nothing like that." Adachi said, too casually. "I'm a very sincere fellow. I was just trying to punish the stupid bitch a little for betraying me. Yeah, putting them inside the tv was never the plan... But ya know, both Mayumi and that dippy high school girl struggled for no reason..."

"Then you were responsible for Saki-senpai's death!"

"Saki...?" Adachi said, "Oh yeah... Her name was Saki Konishi or something like that. At first, I just called her in cause of work-related stuff. Her being the one who found Mayumi's body and all. And naturally, if there was any chance she'd seen something, I'd need to know, right? I called her down to the interrogation room. And I was all set to be a nice guy to her, and then that bitch... I saw her earlier that day with Namatame."