Chapter 33: Manager Troubles

Begin!

~Normal POV

8/26 - Friday

Today was yet another day Yu decided to devote to spending time with Rise. This time, she wanted to go to a diner in the northern part of the shopping district called Aiya's. It was a popular place so it was a little crowded. Yu paid for their lunch together and started to walk her home afterwards.

"It's fun having a scooter now, but most places you can still walk to anyway," Rise commented as they walked.

"True, but at least we got to go to the beach." Yu replied. Their beach trip had been earlier this week on the 23rd. At Yosuke's sudden insistence of course. (He literally made the decision on the day, right as he called Yu up to tell him they were going.)

"Yeah, that was fun!" Rise said, smiling brightly. She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and added. "I enjoyed the view, too..." This look didn't go unnoticed by Yu. He smiled back at her.

"That was my first time going to Aiya's." Rise mused aloud, "The flavor was a little strong, but it was good. My grandma's food is kinda bland. Though, tofu is good for you, so..."

She paused from her train of thought, staring ahead with dismay. Yu looked ahead too. They had reached the tofu shop, but there was a stranger standing outside it. It was a man in a suit and glasses. He looked a bit troubled and rather suspicious...

"Is that a reporter...? Or... a stalker?" Rise asked, worriedly.

"Should I grab your hand and run?" Yu whispered.

Rise looked up at him in surprise. "Uh, th-that's alright. We don't know if he's really dangerous or not. He's just standing there. Let's just wait and see, ok? But... thanks for that..." She finished, sheepishly. She was visibly calmer from hearing his concern for her safety. She knew she could rely on him to protect her; he always did in the tv world, after all.

"Well, if you say so..." Yu replied.

But he was still suspicious of that man's intentions. After catching that boy who was trying to creep on Rise's bedroom window, well he was wary of anyone who just happened to be hanging around the shop where an idol lived. It wasn't an unjustified precaution...

"Hm..." Rise studied that man carefully. "But still... that guy... where have I...?" She walked ahead a few steps closer to him. "...Inoue-san, is that you?!"

The man looked at her and perked up with a bright smile. "Rise-chan!"

Yu relaxed a little from seeing that Rise knew this man. But she didn't seem as happy to see him for some reason.

"Why are you here?" Rise asked, "I already settled everything with the agency!"

Inoue frowned. "I- I'm here because... personally, I can't accept that. I've watched over you this entire time as your manager..."

Of course this made Rise upset. "I'm no longer a 'personality!'" She shouted, "My private time doesn't belong to a manager anymore! Go home. If you don't, I'll call the police."

"W-Wait!" Inoue replied, nervously. "Could you just think it over? I strongly believe that no other actress can play that role better than Rise Kujikawa. Your fans were looking forward to the movie too..."

"You still want me to act?!" Rise sighed frustratedly. "Anyway, I'm through with it! I have nothing to do with showbiz and all that stuff now! I..."

She cast her gaze around nervously. There had to be something she could say that would get rid of him quickly. But there were so many things she couldn't tell him. He'd never believe anything about the tv world and having special powers and all that. And how her friends needed her there, if they ever decided to go back in. She could say she's made really good friends here, instead, but that wasn't the best excuse. She needed something bigger. Something with a real kick to it. Finally, her gaze settled on Yu who was still standing beside her and watching them quietly. And that gave her just the thing she was looking for.

"I-I've decided to marry this man once we graduate high school!"

Yu looked down at her in alarm, as she quickly wrapped her arm around his with a look of determination. Of all the excuses she could have picked! She had to choose the one that embarrassed them both the most? And was the most absolutely ridiculous? He glanced at Inoue who had his jaw dropped in disbelief.

"I said before it was only a hiatus, but I've changed my mind!" Rise said, loudly. "There's no way I'm coming back! Yu, here, he sees the real me... He's so gentle..."

She looked up at him with puppy-eyes, silently begging him to help her out. He could tell it was just part of her cover story, so it shouldn't do any harm to play along.

"That's right, sir." Yu said, smiling. "We're a couple. She's happy here. You're just gonna have to deal."

Rise smiled with relief. "S-See? I told you..."

Inoue scratched his head with a heavy sigh. Well, they did look cute together, he couldn't ignore that. How could he argue with a young couple's feelings? He did run into them out together, so they probably just came back from a date. The boy was plenty gentlemanly-looking. Rise wouldn't make such a rash decision unless she truly meant it. And her happiness mattered to him a lot.

"I... I understand," He replied, "I'll go home... for today. B-But I..."

"Go away now!" Rise demanded.

Inoue nodded and walked away without further protest. Once they were sure he was out of sight, Rise hurriedly untangled herself from Yu's arm and put a little space between them. Both of them were understandably very embarrassed by what just happened. He could see her face was bright pink, and he probably wasn't much different. He also couldn't help noticing that she called him by his first name just now. For as long as he'd known her, Rise only ever called him 'senpai.' It was a little formal for his liking, but he never minded it. He even told the others that he didn't care if they dropped honorifics with him. Well, Kanji still called him senpai too, but he did that for everyone older than him, out of habit. Rise didn't even call him Yu-senpai, it was always just senpai... It felt kinda funny to hear her say his name. Not in a bad way, though...

"Um..." Rise started, "That was Inoue-san. He was... my manager. I'm his daughter's age, so he treated me like one of the family..." She frowned. "But... he's a stranger now..." She seemed sad to say this. She forced herself to look at him again and added nervously. "Senpai, um... I'm sorry... for lying about marrying you and all..."

Yu could see how flustered she was. It was a rare sight to see bold Rise act bashful. As much as it was cute, he had to remedy this situation. Say something that would calm them both down and lighten the mood.

"It was a lie?" He asked, with fake curiosity.

"Huh?" Rise looked at him, confused. "Was it a- Oh-!" She broke down laughing at his joke. Her face went bright red. "Senpai...! W-Wow...!" Yu laughed along with her. Both feeling the embarrassment fade away from laughing it off.

"You really are a nice guy." Rise said, still blushing and smiling. "Th-This isn't good... I feel like I'm going to depend on you even more..." She giggled again. "Just kidding!"

"I don't mind." Yu said, simply. "I'm happy to help. Even if it means backing a flimsy cover story."

"Well I didn't see you coming up with a better one..." Rise teased, "I panicked, ok?" She headed towards the shop. "I wish I could spend more time with you, but... I'll save it for next time. See you later, senpai."

He watched her head inside, before going home himself. She wanted to spend more time with him, huh? He liked the sound of that. So that guy was her manager... He didn't seem so bad, honestly. He clearly wanted Rise to be happy. But as far as Yu could tell from spending time with her, he had this feeling that maybe... just maybe, Rise wasn't as opposed to going back to stardom as she let on.

~End of Chapter