Chapter 59: The Right Thing

Begin

~Normal POV

They arrived at the hospital in the early evening. (If only because of needing to take the bus there.) Upon getting inside, they hurried up to Nanako's room. Here, they found Dojima and the doctor talking. Yu and the others were quick to check on Nanako while they talked. She was asleep, but breathing hard now. Through the walls they could hear people complaining about the allegedly deadly fog.

"What a commotion..." Chie commented, quietly.

"What the hell's that supposed to mean?!" Dojima shouted at the doctor, who had just told him the gist of the situation. "Can't you see how much pain she's in?!"

"All we can do right now is monitor her condition closely." The doctor said, calmly. "You need to return to your-"

"I don't give a damn about myself!" Dojima yelled, "Do something about Nanako-!" He grunted, doubling over in pain.

"Dojima-san?!" Yosuke said, worriedly.

Dojima ignored his concern. "Just save her..." He commanded, "For god's sake, please save Nanako..."

The doctor sighed and calmly replied, "We'll do our best... I must ask you to step outside for the time being."

Yu nodded to the others and they all walked out into the hall again. He stopped to help Yosuke with helping Dojima out.

"Uncle, do you ever stop to think how she'd feel if you don't get better too?" Yu said, sternly as they helped him walk.

"I'm expendable..." Dojima replied, bluntly.

His tone said that he wasn't interested in discussing this any further. So Yu reluctantly had to drop it, even though it visibly hurt him to do so too. Everyone else could see it on his face. Dojima was being unreasonable, and honestly selfish, in a way. He had no consideration for how it would hurt Nanako to lose another parent so young, or how his nephew would feel to lose his only uncle. They handed Dojima off to Adachi to take back to his room. Once the two were gone, the Investigation Team stood out in the hallway quietly. Nanako was getting worse, and there was nothing they could do but stand out here and pray...

Yu was muttering to himself quietly, pacing around. "She already lost one parent, doesn't he give a damn what it would do to her if she lost him too..."

Rise stared at him with sympathy. She knew him well enough at this point to know that he was stressed out as hell, and Dojima wasn't making it any easier on him. It was bad enough with his young cousin being here, but he was worried about his uncle, too. But without a way to help him, the team chose not to speak up about it.

"Hey- can't you do something?!" Yosuke asked, directing his question at Teddie. "This all has to do with the world you came from! Can't you figure something out?!"

"I- I'm thinking..." Teddie said, "I'm thinking but..."

"Damn it!" Kanji shouted, frustratedly. "Why does this have to happen to a little girl like her?!"

"We all feel that way, Kanji..." Yu replied, simply, trying to calm himself down too.

"Why'd it turn out like this...?" Kanji asked, lowering his voice, but still sounding angry and worried.

"Nanako-chan's going to be ok, right?" Chie asked sadly.

Adachi returned to them. He shared the same worried look they had. "Hey, guys..."

"How is Dojima-san doing?" Naoto asked.

"His wounds opened up again." Adachi answered, "They're treating it over in his room now."