Chapter 19: Returning the Favor

Begin!

~Normal POV

6/8 - Wednesday

It was after school when Yu, Yosuke, and Kanji were chatting in the classroom. Yosuke had apparently come up with a devious plot- er, special plan that he wanted to share with Yu. The idea was that the two should try to obtain their scooter licenses. Of course, his reasoning for doing so was just to pick up girls. (As if there weren't any practical applications to owning a scooter.) And his ironclad justification was honestly laughable.

"You see," Yosuke went on, "The reason we don't have girlfriends is cause we're stuck here in this town, waiting to meet someone!"

Yu leaned over to Kanji and whispered. "I can think of a few reasons why he's single, and none of them have anything to do with him not having a motorcycle."

Kanji snickered quietly. Yosuke wasn't paying attention, and just kept harping on about his idea. It got to the point where they just stopped listening.

While Yu didn't care to participate in his best friend's dumb schemes, the idea of getting his license was intriguing. He did see an old scooter locked up outside Dojima's garage. He might be able to persuade his uncle to let him have it. It'd make getting around easier. He'd been out to Okina City with some of his school friends a few times, but it'd be nice to not have to take the train. So, partly to make Yosuke shut up, he begrudgingly conceded to the idea.

~...

Yu went home that evening to find Dojima and Adachi having dinner together. Nanako must have gone to bed early. He approached the two, hopeful to get his uncle to approve of him getting a license.

"Ah, you're back," Dojima greeted.

"Hi there!" Adachi said, smiling. "You want some eel too? Fair warning: it's from the supermarket."

"Well, excuse me..." Dojima grumbled.

"It's delicious, though!" Adachi added, quickly. "I can't believe it was on sale!"

Dojima rolled his eyes. He turned his gaze back to Yu and said, "You look like you wanna say something."

Yu tried to remain casual as he replied. "Well, my friend Yosuke and I were thinking about getting motorcycle licenses..."

Dojima raised a brow at him. "A motorcycle? You mean a scooter? Oh, yeah, kids your age can ride those..." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I don't know though..."

Yu felt his stomach churn. This was sounding too much like a no...

"Come on, don't be a spoilsport," Adachi said, cheerily. "It's no surprise he wants one! I understand how ya feel, being from the city too. The trains don't run as often out here, and walking everywhere is pretty inconvenient, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it's a hassle." Yu said, holding back a smile.

"Right, it's plain criminal!" Adachi added, helpfully.

"You say that, but..." Dojima said, looking unsure.

Adachi gave Yu a subtle wink and said. "That reminds me, I remember you telling me something the other day, Dojima-san. About some of the reckless things you did on your motorcycle when you were young. Like how you got your license behind your parents' backs and bought one yourself. And when your dad caught you riding it-"

"You moron! Think before you talk!" Dojima shouted, glaring at him. "And once you're done eating, hurry and-" He was interrupted by his phone ringing. He answered it and talked for a minute before hanging up. "Adachi, we gotta get back to the station. There's a problem with that file you were in charge of."