Chapter 22: Meeting an Idol

Begin!

~Normal POV

6/22 - Wednesday

The three boys of the Investigation Team walked to Marukyu Tofu after school. Chie and Yukiko were both too busy to come with them. That was fine- maybe even a bit better this way. The smaller group would be more manageable. And it'd be less likely to overwhelm Rise.

"Ok, let's get one thing straight- we're not here to observe! We're going on business." Yosuke said, as they walked.

"It'd be easier to follow that advice if it wasn't so painfully obvious that you aren't gonna," Yu replied, dryly; his hand went up to his hair unconsciously.

"Senpai, you just fixed your hair for the third time in the last ten minutes," Kanji commented, smirking.

Yu gave him a look. "Irrelevant."

Kanji rolled his eyes. "I can't believe I'm the one acting like a fucking professional."

"Aren't you even the least bit excited, Kanji?" Yosuke asked, smiling. "I mean, we're about to meet a celebrity for god's sake!"

"She's just a singer." Kanji replied, shrugging. "Big deal. I don't listen to her music. And she's a little... peppy for my tastes. I prefer someone more... composed."

Yu side-eyed him. "Composed, huh...?" Kanji didn't reply and merely turned a little pink.

They reached the shop. It was located right next to the place where they buy their model weapons. The first thing they noticed was the small crowd outside the store. Made up of many different people, of varying ages. All hoping to get a peek at the famous Risette. For whatever reason, they also saw Detective Adachi standing on the curb directing traffic away from the store. How odd.

"Um, Mr. Detective, did something happen," Yosuke asked.

Adachi looked at them curiously. "Oh, it's you guys. These gawkers keep streaming in with their cars, trying to park in the middle of the shopping district."

"Why's that?" Kanji asked.

"Don't you know? Rise Kujikawa's here." Adachi explained. "Her car just dropped her off yesterday. Did you guys see her already?"

"We're asking why a plain clothes detective is here doing traffic control," Kanji clarified.

"Oh... uh... The Inaba Police Department isn't that big, and we don't have enough staff." Adachi answered, sheepishly. "Well, I still have work to do, so I'll see you later..." He walked off, seemingly just to get away from Kanji.

"Dude, you managed to scare off a police detective on active duty..." Yosuke said, sounding impressed.

"I wasn't trying to scare the guy, I just said what I was thinking."

"But you're right. It's weird for the police to come out like this..." Yosuke said.

"I think it's obvious." Yu replied. "Somebody noticed the same things we did. And now they wanna keep an eye on her too."

From the doorway, they could hear the familiar voice of Dojima calling out. "Alright, clear out. Coming through- Hey, Adachi!" He exited the store and looked around. "Damn it, I told him not to leave his post..." He looked down and saw the three teens standing at the back of the crowd. He approached them, as easily as he could through the crowd, that is.

"What are you guys doing-" Dojima blinked and looked twice at Kanji. "Kanji Tatsumi?!"

It suddenly occurred to Yu that he hadn't had a chance to mention Kanji had joined their friend group. He probably should have said so. Kanji had a police record, after all. And Dojima didn't know he was actually a good guy.