Chapter 11: Outing with Nanako

Begin!

~Normal POV

5/2 - Monday

Yu was spending another evening watching tv with Nanako. It rained all day today, but thankfully it stopped before it got dark. No need to check the Midnight Channel yet. The gang had spent all of yesterday in the tv world; helping Yukiko get up to speed on fighting Shadows with them. She was already proving to be a great ally. Her healing magic will be very useful in any tougher fights.

Golden Week was also starting soon. Dojima had said he might be able to get a couple days off for it. He made a vague promise for them to take a family trip too. Nothing else had been confirmed about it yet though. Nanako looked a little restless right now waiting for an update.

"...Dad's late..." She mumbled, frowning.

"I'm sure he's on his way home right now," Yu said, gently. "The police station is pretty far from your house, after all."

Before she could respond, the phone rang. She got up to answer it. "Hello, dad? Yeah, I'm ok..." Yu watched as she frowned again. "Yeah... Yeah... Ok... Alright." She turned and gave the phone to him. "He said to give you the phone... He can't take those days off." She then ran to her room without another word.

Yu held the phone up to his ear. "Hey..."

"Hello." Dojima replied, "Sorry but I'm gonna be late tonight. Make sure you lock up before you go to sleep. And about that time off on the 4th and the 5th... one of the younger guys got sick... And, well, that case he's handling, we can't just let it sit... Looks like I'm the only one who can take over for him."

"I understand, that's just how it goes sometimes."

"Sorry to spring this on you all of a sudden... Um, how's Nanako holding up?"

"She just went to her room."

"Mm. Would you mind comforting her for me?"

"I can try..." Yu answered, unsurely. "I'm sure I can find something to cheer her up."

Dojima thanked him and said good night before hanging up. Yu put the phone away. He considered going to Nanako's room to talk to her, but thought better of it. She probably wanted to be alone until she calmed down. He turned off the tv and went up to his room for the night. There had to be something he could do to help his cousin, but he needed to think of it first...

~...

5/3 - Tuesday

Today was the first day of Golden Week. Meaning they had the next couple days off from school. Of course, on Monday they were going to immediately jump into midterm exams, because schools are just like that. (Even King Moron gave them a very long, detailed, lecture about why kids should be using these kinds of breaks to study.) Yu went downstairs this morning to find Nanako watching her shows like normal. She appeared to have calmed down but it was obvious she was still disappointed.

"Good morning."

"Oh, morning..." She replied, turning her attention back to her show.

Before Yu could try talking to her more, the doorbell rang. He went to answer it and found Chie had come to see him. (He didn't recall giving her his address, but he figured this is a small town, most people here knew each other by name. She could have found it easily.)

"Oh, cool you're home." Chie said, brightly, walking in. "Hey, if you're free today, wanna go somewhere? Yukiko's coming too."

Yu smirked. "Damn, two ladies inviting me out at once? Must be my lucky day."