"Is that because biochemistry and molecular biology isn't that popular?"

Brent sent him a sideways glance. "Yes and no."

"I heard that the more popular a major is, the better its program."

"Talon!" Keeley chided. How could he be so rude? He was practically insinuating that Brent's program was terrible. She glanced at Brent, a hint of worry in her eyes.

"What?" he cried out, his tone defensive. "I'm just saying. The bigger programs usually get more funding and that means better equipment, better professors, and better research. It's not my fault no one cares about unpopular majors."

Instead of taking offense, like Keeley thought he would, Brent just chuckled. "That's all very true. Fortunately, biochemistry is part of biology so we get funding. In fact, our department is ranked among those at Harvard, Stanford and Berkley."

"Really?" Talon asked. "That's surprising considering how academically challenging those universities are."

Keeley's jaw dropped. What. The. Hell.

"So, Talon, what colleges are you applying to?" Brent asked with a raised eyebrow.

Talon shifted in his seat, looking a tad uncomfortable. "Well, um," his eyes darted quickly over to Keeley, "USC, UCLA, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and a couple of others."

"Those are really great schools," Keeley blurted out without thinking.

Talon chest noticeably puffed out, almost like he was preening. "Well, of course they are. Would you expect anything less of me?"

Keeley sighed at his arrogance. Couldn't he take a comment without making it about his ego? "Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or pity you."

"Oh, I have a good idea what you can do to me, baby doll," he suggested in a low voice, while wagging his eyebrow.

Keeley's temper flared. "I have a good idea too." She looked down at his lap and then used her fingers to form a pair of scissors. "Snip, Snip."

Talon guffawed. "Oh baby doll, you don't want to do that. There are certain things only men can offer."

Under the table, her hands curled into tight fists. The gall of him! She schooled her face into a pleasant expression and then smiled sweetly at him. "You're right. Sometimes I need only what you can provide, Talon."

He raised an eyebrow at her change of tone. "Oh yah? What's that?"

"Absence!"

Suddenly, Brent coughed loudly, trying to disguise his laughter. His eyes were twinkling with amusement. "You guys should take this act on the road. You could make a fortune."

Keeley bit her lip. She had completely forgotten Brent was even there. How embarrassing! She hoped Brent didn't think her juvenile or immature.

"So Talon, what do you want to major in?" Brent questioned, bringing the topic of conversation back around.

"Um..."

Keeley's eyes narrowed. Was he...? No. It couldn't be. Could it? She leaned forward slightly. He was! Talon was blushing!

"I..uh...want to major in history," Talon mumbled quickly.

"You're a history buff?" Keeley asked in disbelief. Of all majors, that was the last one she expected him to say. Pre-law? Yes. Business? Yes. Political Science? Yes. History? No way.

Talon's eyes flickered with annoyance. "Is that so hard to believe?"

Keeley pretended to think about it for a second before crying out, "Honestly? Yes!"