"Who do you wanna see first John?"

"Surprise me."

Mae giggled at the two, every time Travis asks the same question and every time John gives the same answer.

"Hey, Andrea! Bring him!"

"This is Billy-Joe Cash, a nine year old stallion, NHRA Futurity winner. AQHA World Champion, a CRHA Challenge Futurity winner. Only thing he hasn't won is the Kentucky Derby and that's just cause he ain't no fucking race horse."

Mae grinned as she stared at the horse. He sure was a beauty and he'll definitely make a shit ton of money.

"How much?"

"Well, I can probably get him for you for around 5."

"Five hundred seems pretty cheap for a Futurity winner."

Mae scoffed, even after all these years on the ranch, Jamie still had no fucking clue on the ins and outs of ranch life.

"He means five million, Jamie."

"She's right," Travis nodded at Mae.

Jamie sighed and John stated: "Ah for hell's sake, Travis."

Travis laughed: "You said bring the best! That's the best right there."

"Does it say I just moved here from San Diego on my goddamn hat band?"

Mae giggled at her father's sense of humour.

"He's got a four thousand dollar stud fee, he's booked for the full season, booking up for next year. He pays for himself in three years, alright? And then he keeps paying you. You want to see a cheaper horse, you want to see a two hundred thousand dollar horse? Let me show you. Hey, Tom! Bring him down."

Mae watched as Tom rode the stallion and pulled him to stop, sliding in the dirt. It was impressive, just not nearly as impressive as Billy-Joe Cash.

"That's pretty fancy."

"Yeah but you can still see he's not as well trained as Billy-Joe," Mae smiled up at Rip who nodded in agreement.

"Got about a hundred thousand in earnings but you got to put this one out on the road, you got to go in. There's no guarantee with his babies, he makes nice fowls but..."

Travis didn't need to finish his sentence, the horse doesn't have any pedigree papers and without papers, it won't earn them as much. This horse wasn't a guaranteed pay-day like the previous one.  

"What's that one Tim's on?"

"That's Custom-made Gun. That's that horse that Cade McCutcheon's winning everything on. Hey, Tim! Bring him down."

Everyone watched as Tim brought the horse over, it made an angry noise, Mae and Travis chuckled.

"He's angry, isn't he? You got to have your big boy pants on when you ride that one."

Mae instantly liked him the best.

"We can probably get him bought for like a million, two hundred thousand in earnings. But if you're looking to raise cattle like ranch horses, that is your stud."

"Why don't we just breed the one Kayce gave you?"

As Jamie leaned in to John, everyone noticed how Mae moved closer to Rip. He glanced down at her as if asking if she was okay, she gave a small smile and nodded her head yes.

"No one can ride the damn thing, Jamie."

John tried his best to keep the anger out of his voice, he already had a talk with Jamie about laying his hands on his sisters but seeing Mae like this, it invoked the anger even more than before. He knew Jamie and Beth stopped getting along years ago and they've resorted to physical violence numerous times. Jamie hurting Mae, the one person in this family that continuously stuck by him? Well John found that unforgiveable.