Chapter 17

Doon stood silently as Peter and Dinor shouted back and forth. The other boys stood in a half circle around the pair, like they were all watching a fist fight in the schoolyard. They all looked as uncomfortable as Doon felt.

"You were supposed to keep watch, Dinor!"

"I did! I didn't see anyone!"

"You never listen!"

It was strange to watch Dinor argue with Peter. Dinor was boyish and skinny in comparison to the mature, tall, and broad-shouldered captain. But something about Peter was young too. He looked too youthful to have gray hair, yet Doon spotted white streaks silvering in the moonlight. His expression, though fuming with anger, was more controlled than Dinor's, who was all passion and no composure. His hands were balled at his sides while Peter stood still, his arms crossed over his chest. They were the centerpiece of the ship, and everyone looked on.

Dinor seemed to have authority that the other crew members didn't. Doon assumed he was Peter's first mate. He did not bother with flattery or constraint. To Doon's surprise, he spoke freely.

Dinor was the kind of person Doon couldn't imagine angry. He seemed too happy and humorous. Of course, everyone gets angry. Doon just couldn't imagine it. Then a few years ago he wasn't angry either because he didn't know he needed to be yet.

Peter's mouth was shut tight, but he looked like something was pushing against his lips, trying to get out. Behind, his teeth were clenched tight. "I've worked too hard and for too long to let you ruin it all, Dinor! This job was supposed to get me back to where I belong! Now I have nothing!"

"I was almost there, Pete! I almost had it! If you hadn't barged it I would've got it."

"I told you I was doing that job alone!"

Dinor shook his head, lowering it towards the floor. "I just wanted you to be proud, Pete."

A softness came upon Peter then, but still tinged with anger. "You're too young. You don't got the experience. You know me, Dinor. You know not to double-cross me."

Then Dinor's eyes shot back up to Peter's face and became daggers. "I just did what you were too scared to do."

Suddenly Peter's eyes got wide and Doon thought he would punch him. Instead he said nothing at all, tightened his jaw. Glanced around at all of them watching. He was not used to being challenged. When his eyes fell on Doon, something seemed to alight in his mind and he looked back at Dinor with regained confidence. He pointed at Doon without looking at him. "And him! If he'd been discovered it would've ruined everything! Back to the workhouses with you, Dinor." He swung his hand in a half-circle, gesturing to all of the looking-on boys. "With all of ya!" There was an unspoken, uncomfortable shift in the boys. The toying with collars, crossing and uncrossing of arms. Exchanged glances. Like they knew Peter's words were true.

To Doon's surprise, Dinor jumped to his defense. "This ain't about him, Peter."

Peter shook his head, not listening. "I should never have let him stay. Too risky."

"He can help!" Dinor argued. "I'll teach 'em."

Doon raised an eyebrow.

Peter only laughed. "He can't even talk! He's dumb, Dinor."

Doon felt a pang of embarrassment, but it was as quickly replaced with anger. They were all looking at him now, standing in the middle, vulnerable. But still Doon's fists balled at his sides. Peter didn't know Doon could fight, and he could beat him too. Wouldn't want to face such embarrassment in front of his crew of boys.

"He can talk!" Dinor glanced at Doon surely. "He got nowhere else to go, Pete."

Peter swelled up then, tired of being challenged in front of his crew. He shook his head again. "He goes."

"No!" Dinor protested. He leaned in, got quieter. "You know we can't—"

Peter turned on his heel, towards his quarters. "He ain't worth it to me or anyone else on this ship. Not losin' my boys 'cause of him."

"Peter, you promised—!"

He walked away. "Thisis why I don't let you make the decisions, Dinor." At the door, he paused. "What you did tonight is inexcusable. You wanna defend a Minarian, you wanna risk our entire operation for him, you're off too."

The anger on Dinor's face dissipated. He staggered backwards as if Peter had punched him in the gut. His face crumbled. "I been on this ship seven years, Peter!" His voice was cracking. "You said we'd be partners!"

Peter lingered for a moment, his hand flat on the door. A breeze cracked the sail above his head. Then at last, with finality, he fixed his posture, shoved the door open and disappeared.