Chapter 2 - Letting him live?

Merlin with magic?

The idea was ridiculous, stupid, utterly selfless, clumsy Merlin had magic? That felt so farfetched that the question would have never surfaced any of their minds, with the exception of the one that already knew that this "farfetched idea" was in actuality a fact.
A pondering silence surrounded the group. They all now wondered the same things; why would he write it if he hadn't have it? Was he the thing that made those miraculous things happen?

Arthur mostly feeled... betrayed. He had had one too many bad experiences with liars, with magic, that he could not take this quite lightly. First Morgana, then Agravaine and now Merlin. Merlin, who had stood at his side for years and years. Merlin who had always fought beside him, fearless. The kind, stupid, loyal, lazy, idiotic Merlin.

The one knight that was not staring into space, still flabbergasted, had his eyes set on Arthur.

"Don't even think about hurting him." Lancelot spoke, with an unusual sharpness to his words. "You have no idea was he has done for you. And he is still Merlin, our friend."

"I don't really know what I will do...." Arthur answered baffled. "... What has he done?"

Lancelot almost let out a chuckle.

"What hasn't the man done for you? You're not seeing it yet, do you?" Even though Lancelot saw the absurdity of the situation, he was deathly serious. He knew that in Camelot, magic was a question of life and death. "First time I saw it was when we killed the griffin..."

"Have you known it for so long!" Gwaine exclaimed loudly enough for Merlin to stir. This quieted him down when as he continued. "Well, I mean, how long have he had it for?" He said, his voice a bit shaking, extremely unusual for the overly confident knight.

"He says he was born with it..." Lancelot said, eyes still placed on his king.

"Is that even possible?" Percival more stated then asked. Lancelot only nodded. The knights eyes winded, and causing their pondering to enter knew paths. Gwaine murmured something about strength, courage and magic as he shook his head to himself. Percival is breaking sticks over and over again, seemingly to keep himself busy. To the others, his opinions on magic was never truly shown. Leon murmured for himself, and Elyan is just looking into the fire, lost in his own head. The one that stood out the most was the blonde with his hair in his hands, looking at the ground. The one he would consult in situations like this, was the one sleeping, and also the one who caused this current distress.

He suddenly stood.

"I have not made my decision yet, but before I do, we will read more to understand... Well, why he disappears all the time, what he does with his magic and answer some other questions..." Lancelot was surprised on just the scale the king had considered the situation. He had already taken in to accordance that he did not actually go to the tavern every time he was gone every once in a while. The knights agreed at this and Percival took over the reading, since Gwaine no longer wanted to continue.

"Were should I begin?" He asked the others.

"From the beginnig, so we don't miss someting." Leon said.

"The first one is dated two years ago, in september." Percival said.

"That was when I and Merlin went out for that dragonlord."Arthur said thinking.

"You what?" Gwaine's mannerisms were still dulled, but he managed to convey his surprise quite well.

"Well.... I think he'll write about what happend."

Hello, or whatever I can begin with. I am an servant in Camelot who saves the prince's royal ass every day.

At this the Knights began to chuckle. They all thought the same thing: typical Merlin thing to say. Arthur nearly smiled.

I got this book from my father. He died in my arms, but the night before he gave me this book. He hadn't had a easy life, but he died saving me. If I only could use my magic to save him... But Arthur was watching so the should look suspicious...

"This has old stains on it, they look like tears..." Percival puzzled expression followed his tone as he spoke. The rest of the knights sat shocked and once again found themselves staring into the fire. This time, Lancelot knew as little as the others, but knew to also sit patiently. Arthur , on the other hand, guessed the name, but didn't dare to say it out loud.

"Why did he never tell us? Why did he keep it to himself?" Lancelot murmured.

His name was Balinor.

"The dragonlord." Arthur breathed and looked in the fire. All the knights eyes widened at the statement.

Arthur said that no man is worth your tears, but my answer was awful.

"'Well, you're certainly not.'" Arthur quoted, still looking into the fire. He had not admitted it himself, but the memory was as clear as yesterday. Them sitting by the fire, as they had so many days before.

But I think he would also cry when his father died. He is a idiot. I belive in the kingdom Arthur will build, that's why I stand out with the dollophead.

[17.10.15]