“Ron Stamps. You just keep surprising us. Nice work man. You know, I think that puts you at the top of the leaderboard for this month.”

“Thanks Stan,” Ron said, emptying the unspent simunition rounds into his hand and placing them on the table.

“I got kind of lucky this time though. That one zombie tripped over his friend, and those head shots are worth a lot of points. They still haven’t perfected walking with robots have they?”

“All the more reason to dress them up like zombies. If there ever were real zombies they’d probably walk like my robots do, but you didn’t get lucky man, that was skill. Would you like to purchase a copy of the video showing your zombie hunting adventure?”

“Dude, you know I never buy those. I’d love to but I just don’t have the money.”

“I know. I’m sorry, I have to ask every customer every time. Seriously though man, you sell yourself short. I wish you would come in and work with us. I mean it when I say that you’d make a great instructor. It would just take a few training classes and some paperwork.”

“Yeah, I know but I already have a job.”

“What, working at that gas station? I know we could pay you more than that dump. No offense buddy.”

“No it’s cool. I’m sure you’re right about that, and I do appreciate the offer, again. I’ll think about it.”

“You say that every time, but you really should think about it Ron. People could learn a lot from someone like you. You’re a natural talent. Have you ever even had any training? I’ve never seen you at the range.”

“Mostly just video games.”

“You’re kidding right?”

“No, you really learn to like lead the target and everything man. They’re pretty realistic these days.”

“I guess so. And I thought my kids were always wasting their time on those things.”

“They probably are. I guess I have watched a few online videos for tips too.”

Stan chuckled.

“Alright Ron. See you next Sunday?”

“Yeah, I’ll be back. I’ve got to keep my name at the top of the leaderboard right?”

“Yes you do. Oh, I almost forgot. My Dad has been on me about putting together a video for our website. You know, to promote our whole zombie shooting adventure thing. Would it be okay with you if I used some of the footage from your adventures?”

“Yeah, sure. That would be pretty cool actually. Let me know when you’ve finished it so I can check it out.”

“Great, thanks man. I just need you to sign this paper giving me permission.”

Ron took the paper and pen from Stan and began signing it.

“See Stan, I knew I’d find a way to see some of my footage for free someday.”

“Ha ha. Well I appreciate it. I’ll let you know when it’s done. Maybe I’ll put some of your footage in slow motion and add some hard rock music behind it.”

“Sounds cool man. See you later.”

“Later.”

Ron pulled out his phone and snapped a picture of his name at the top of the month’s leader board of zombie hunters. He went back to the lobby of the gun shop and took his rain jacket off a hook. Zipping it up he headed out through the drizzle to his car. He drove home thinking about his job. It was pretty crappy, but he couldn’t leave it. If he did he might not ever see her again. The only reason he stayed was to see Valerie Kite every weekday morning.