The doctor enters in a rush with a petite nurse behind him. He urges them out and begins to attend to me.

I pay less attention to him because I want to figure out who that man is and how I got here. He places his hand on my head and I wince. He places an instrument on my chest and my head but I have no idea what he is doing until he moves away so we can face each other squarely.

He flashes me a bright smile. "How do you feel, Valerie?"

I try to nod but the aches in my head won't allow me so I force myself to speak. "I'm fine."

I can barely recognize my voice too. Is this how my voice has always been or has it changed?

"What is this, Valerie?" I hold up a pen as he asks with a smile still etched on his face, probably to make me feel comfortable and not insulted by his question.

Well, it sounds ridiculous because I am not a baby and I know what a pen is but I will answer him because I am in the hospital and I hope it will help me figure out who that young man is.

"It's a pen", I answer as I feel another weakness grips me.

He nods in satisfaction and then produces another item. "What is this, Valerie?"

I almost scoff. "It's a phone."

"What about this?" He produces a white item and I squint to know what it really is before answering him.

"A sheet of paper?" it sounds more like a question but he nods again in satisfaction which makes me heave a deep sigh of relief.

"What is your name, then?" he demands with a cheeky smile and with folded arms. 

I can't help but snort now. Even if I don't remember my name, the way he called me a while ago and the way my mother kept calling my name is enough to give me an idea of what name I bear.

With confidence, I answer. "I am Valerie Adams."

I am fine. Nothing is wrong with me.

He nods and gives me a thumbs up before he begins to instruct the nurse on what to do then carries out a few more examinations before heading out.

Mom, Dad, and the young man comes in again. They look calmer than when they exited the room and I wonder what the doctor told them.

The young man moves closer to me as our eyes meet. He does not tear his gaze away and I don't do the same.

He has a lovely mustache with a straight jawline. His pointed nose and red lips give me an idea of who he might be.

He is definitely my type. Maybe we dated after Fred left.

No, that is not it, my subconscious opposes it.

I squint and watch him more carefully, then he touches me again and I feel the comfort that comes with his touch again.

"Valerie", he squats down to my height as he rasps out almost breathlessly. When I am not responding, he rises and hugs me on the bed. My head is directly on his chest and I hear his heartbeat.

Unusual. 

His heart is beating very fast. 

He strokes my face carefully, and then it hits me.

Ryan.

I nudge him so he can pull away. I stare at his face once more and I am sure he is the one.

Without hesitation, I question him. "Are you Ryan?"

Relief washes through him as I see him slide away a lone tear. Mom and Dad also heave a deep sigh of relief. 

He nods intermittently and holds my hand again. It feels so warm and so assuring and it sends a tingle down my spine.

Then I ask the very next question that comes into my head. "Do you know that Mr. Lorenzo is not your biological father?"

What?!" he exclaims sharply in disbelief. 

Silence falls. 

A pin drop can be heard. But then it isn't a pin drop that I hear. 

It was the chirping sound of a bird. 

Then a phone crashes to the floor. And Ryan takes his hand off me as a horrified look replaces his expression.

****

What?!

What the hell is happening? Did Valerie see the assaulter's face? How did she end up in a hospital?

Who could be behind this? Is she talking about Ryan's paternity now because it is related to how she ended up in the hospital or because it just came to her head?

Do you think Valerie is unstable?

Air your views and don't forget to vote😍❤️