Chapter 12

I woke up, feeling a little numb from the fight I did with Toriel yesterday. I thought that it'll wear off as the day progress so I didn't even bother thinking about it anymore. I got up from the bed and walked downstairs, only seeing Chara in the kitchen. "G'morning." I said sleepily, Chara waived at me. "Didn't know you were mute." I said, she let out a small smile as she looked at me sitting down at the kitchen table, facing her. "Didn't know you were powerful." She said, I only shrugged as I wanted to dismiss that topic, even if I used magic, I wasn't happy that my magic was like that.

"I suppose you won't tell me anything about your magic ?" Chara asked, I sighed as I looked at her, I knew she would be curious the moment I showed my soul. "One question." I only said, Chara's face showing happiness for a short time. She seemed to think about her question as she looked focused. "Link. Beam. Create. Is there any other thing you can make ?" She asked. Of course I could, but I won't show them to her. "Yes, there's other things, but you probably won't see them." I said, she looked kinda disappointed. "Takes too much magic. Truth be told, it's been months that I didn't used magic." I added. She nodded and then she was surprised. 

"How come you used your magic with that much efficiency then ?" She asked. I sighed as I remembered the words I was told since I was a kid. "They always told me that I was special." I mumbled, looking down the food on my plate. Chara always did that for me, putting a plate of food for me. "Sorry if that brought you some bad memories." She said, I looked up to her and I saw that she was genuine. Probably because she also had some secrets she wanted to be hidden. "That's alright, you couldn't know after all." I said, forcing a smile as I got up, taking my hoodie. "Sorry, I'm not hungry for the moment." I said, walking towards the door. "Where are you going ?" Chara asked. I didn't look back at her but I could hear some worriedness. "Going to the 'Librarby' as it's called." I said, exiting the house and made my way towards the 'Librarby'.

As I thought, I wanted to flee from my past, but every second of me being here just reminded me of my previous actions. Seeing families happy with their closed ones made me regret that bloody past. Because of me, some families up there couldn't spend time with them anymore, even if they were innocent. And I thought I was being a good guy from killing Shifty. Truth is, I was the same kind of human.

"Such a hypocrite." I said to myself as I entered the 'Librarby'.

"Welcome !" The owner of the place said. I nodded as I walked into the aisles of book presented. I looked the books until I saw the one I wanted to look at. 'The Great War against Humans'. That's what I wanted to find.

*

"Fucking hell." I said as I finished to read it, it wasn't long. But damn, humans wanted that war only because monsters could absorb human's souls, making then stronger ? That sounded fucking ridiculous. But then, humans are that type of being, when someone unknown was stronger than them, they did everything to kill that threat, even if the unknown is pacifist. 

At the end of the book, I also learned something quite interesting. The Barrier. That's why the monsters couldn't get out of the Underground. To break the Barrier, the monsters needed 7 human souls. I guess that's why the Royal Guard wanted to look out for humans, but ... Why was Chara and I in the Royal Guard in the first place ? I mean, for Chara there was something behind it, I figured it as much. But for me ? I didn't even know why I was recruited. I sighed as I put the book where I took it, and left the 'Librarby'.

I made my way home as I thought about something, how many souls they had harvested until now ?

I entered the home as I was waited for by Chara. "You seemed off, what's up ?" She asked. I looked at her and sighed once again. "Just my past, I don't want to talk about it." I said, Chara nodded as I thought of something. "You seem to understand it as well." I said to her, her surprised face was once again showed. And then, her face was a little angry. "Don't talk about it." She said, I scoffed a little. "Then don't refer to mine." I said, looking at her in the eyes and approaching her. "How many more souls do your King need to break the Barrier ?" I asked, that question surprised more that I thought. 

"How do you know ?" She asked. "Looked for books about the past of monsters and humans together, turns out the humans back then were just as scummy as now." I said, looking at her eyes. "Respond to me, how many ?" I asked again. "Why do you want to know ?" She asked, I knew she tried to hide that intel from me. "I want to know what's the objective for my job." I said. She sighed and lifted her hand, with one finger lifted as well. "Just one ?" I asked, she nodded. "Wonder why Toriel was aggressive at me." I mumbled.

"Why don't I give my soul away ?" I said, once again surprising her. "After all, I'm the only thing separating you from freedom. Why should I prevent you from going up there ?" I said, I could see her eyes widen. "Don't do it." She only said. "Why not ?" I pressed further than I needed to. Chara only slapped me as her eyes were glimmering with tears that wouldn't fall down. "Don't you fucking do it. You saved us, saved me. You said that I would live freely with you as a friend. And yet you don't act like one." She said, I could hear anger in her voice. I sighed as I looked at her.

"You're right, I've been out of the picture. I'm sorry Chara, I won't give my soul away." I said, she looked at me and sighed. "You're the only human that knows. I don't want to be alone with that knowledge anymore." She said, I knew that Shifty left a mark in her soul, but I didn't even think about how badly he traumatized her. "You won't be Chara. I promise." I said, those words left my mouth without a single thought. A promise, huh ? The only one I made was broken by myself. This time I hope that I won't break it. "I don't like promises." Chara said, smiled a little bit, it showed sadness, even if it was subtle. "I don't either, but I don't want to break that one." I said, she looked down and laughed a little. Then she looked at me and laughed again. "Since when I've became sentimental." She said, making me laugh a little. "Same could go for me." I said, smiling a little bit.

Then, Asriel kicked the door open as he was panting. And with the knowledge I got now, I could only guess what will be his words. "I'll take care of it." I said, feeling myself determined as I rushed towards the Sentry spot.

But even if I tried, I couldn't shake off that negative feeling about it.