Chapter 11

Izuku hums. 

"Yes?" 

The other side of the line is silent. Izuku gives Uraraka a glance and their eyes meet. Her lips are tight when she smiles, her eyes screaming at him with the message 'Get off the phone already'. Izuku pretends he doesn't notice it and looks away from her as noise breaks the silence from the phone. 

"I was worried that you were..." 

It's just a whisper and Izuku has to strain to hear it. The faint smell of coffee hits his nose, and he sees Uraraka open the lid to hers, hot steam coming out in a big cloud. She blows on it and Izuku after a couple seconds Katsuki speaks louder. There is a slight shakiness to his voice, clearly trying to force the words out even when he doesn't want to say it out loud. Izuku thinks it's cute that he's forcing himself just to answer him. 

"I was worried you were on a date with some extra! I... I just thought you'd prefer that then being over with me." 

Sunlight pours in from the big windows, warm and slightly comforting. Strangely, he didn't really bother to notice it before Katsuki called. From Uraraka's position, the sentence is sort of jumbled, but she gets the gist of it. She grips her coffee cup tighter, the hot liquid heating up the cheap paper and burning her hand a little. 

"All because i went out?" 

There's an amused tone to his words that he doesn't really try all that hard to cover. 

Katsuki is back to that quiet voice, the one that has so much to say and scream but doesn't because he isn't sure if Izuku would like that. 

"I'm sorry Izuku." 

Izuku loses the amusement and instead replies in a firm voice that seems to surprise the girl at the other side of the small table because she looks up from blowing on her coffee to give him a wide-eyed stare. 

"Don't be sorry. I'll see you soon Katsuki and ill... I'll make it up to you." 

It's quiet again and Katsuki yells back, seemingly far away from the phone. 

"You better!" 

Quick sounds of Katsuki rushing to the phone and quickly hanging up, the phone beeping to let him know the call is now disconnected. He turns off his phone and puts it back in his pocket, turning his attention to the now sour girl who is trying to mask her negative emotions with a mock interested look. She leans forward a little, making sure not to bump the table, and tilts her head. Her eyes linger on his phone. 

"Who was that Midoriya Kun?" 

Izuku folds his hands over each other onto the table and gives her a smile. 

"Just my roommate. I might need to leave soon." 

Izuku doesn't miss the small quirk in the corner of her lip. Her gaze turns to the side, looking outside one of the many windows. People are passing by, some lingering or stopping to come into the shop. The sunlight makes her brown eyes lighter and her face full of life.