27

Armed with a brand-new knife, a lock-picking kit, and a handful of condoms tucked safely inside his backpack, GD leashed his dog and prepared for what he knew would be a challenging day.

Going after Kim Jennie was a risk, no matter how good he was. At this point she had as much surveillance on her as the San Francisco Police Department could surely afford. It wasn't exactly FBI-level protection, but GD would have to be very careful if he wanted to get close to her without being caught.

He had set tonight's plan in motion the day he left his little present on her doorstep. Before he left Jennie's apartment building he'd climbed the staircase to the top floor and located the roof-access door.

Not surprisingly, it locked from the inside to prevent intruders from breaking into the building. As GD had hoped, Jennie's old building had equally old security, a simple mechanical lock and no alarm. He'd gone home that day confident that his bump key would do the job and get him inside. No problem.

Tonight he'd find out.

It was probably only a matter of time before the SFPD called in the feds to assist on the case, in fact, GD was surprised they hadn't already, so this was as good a time as any to make his next move.

Deep down, GD was confident he could slip past the layers of Jennie's protective detail and catch her alone. The only thing that worried him about tonight's operation was that he might lose control and end their game before he was ready for it to be over.

Right now he told himself that all he wanted was more of Jennie's fear, intoxicating as it was, the memory of her face and her shaking voice as she pleaded for her life had kept him going for weeks now. But it wasn't enough anymore.

The challenge would be holding himself back from just ending her life today. He had fantasized about it so many times now, lying in bed at night imagining the warm, red flow of her blood, the terror in her eyes when she realized her time was up. Fucking her tonight was more for her benefit than his. He didn't care much for sex but sensed that violating her in that way would crush her spirit. Carving his name in her face would be the real pleasure. It would take everything he had to keep the wounds superficial enough that she didn't bleed out.

When he started this thing, the point had been to be the killer Kim Jennie couldn't catch, the one who could outsmart both her and the police. That this whole thing had turned into an obsession with the woman herself was unsettling, but GD was long past trying to quell his desire to take things ever further.

Today was an important day. And he wouldn't fail.