17

Irene stared into Jennie's eyes. "Are you in love with her?" Jennie opened her mouth to answer, but Irene looked away with a pained grimace. "Don't bother. Your face says it all."

"I can't explain how it is with Lisa," Jennie said. "But it's good, Irene. It's really good."

"Then ask her." Irene glanced at the exam table, then back at Jennie. "Please."

Jennie exhaled shakily. If Lisa had discovered the body, Jennie did want to know, and not only because it might help their investigation. That was a big secret to keep. Lisa might have her reasons, but if Jennie didn't ask, she could only guess what they might be. Jennie was tired of relationships built on lies. She wouldn't have one again, not even for Lisa.

"I will," Jennie murmured. She wanted to know, didn't she? But how to do it without destroying what had so far been perfect in every way? "Just give me some time."

"Two bodies in less than a month," Irene said meaningfully. "Don't take too long."

Jennie gave irene a gruging nod "I won't "

•••

Lisa knew something was different the moment Jennie answered her door the evening after the second murder. Jennie's face softened at the sight of her, and Lisa's entire body hummed as their connection flared to life, but Jennie seemed almost reserved as they embraced. The stream of emotion that flowed from her directly into Lisa was difficult to decipher, almost overwhelming in its complexity.

Familiar love and desire were there, but new, and unsettling, feelings were in the mix.

Anxiety. Fear. Worst of all, uncertainty.

Those negative emotions seemed directed at her, an unexpected turn of events that jarred her into stunned stillness. She knew that Irene and Jennie had argued about her that morning at the crime scene, but now she wondered what exactly Irene had said. Whatever it was, it had clearly gotten to Jennie.

"Is everything all right?" Lisa asked as she drew back from their embrace. Cautiously, she stepped into Jennie's apartment and closed the door behind her. She had planned to tell Jennie this evening that she wouldn't be around on the night of the full moon, so the last thing she needed was unspoken distrust between them. That would make lying even harder to pull off. "You seem upset."

"I am upset," Jennie said, but gave her a brave smile. "Rough day at the lab."

"I'll bet. Anything I can do?"

Jennie smiled wider, blushing. "Why don't we talk a little first?"

Relieved by Jennie's reaction, Lisa walked deeper into the apartment. Flirting was a good sign. If Jennie was still flirting, Irene hadn't managed to completely poison her mind against her. At least not yet.

After a moment of hesitation, she sat on Jennie's couch. She needed to act casual, to push aside her nerves. If she wanted Jennie to trust her, she had to project calm honesty. That was the only way to make Jennie believe that she wasn't hiding anything.

Jennie put her hands on her hips. "Want something to drink?"

Lisa shook her head, patting the cushion next to her. "Sit down, sweetheart. Tell me about your day. About the woman from the alley."

Jennie shook her head, then turned to walk into the kitchen. "Let me get a glass of wine first."

"Of course." Lisa stood and followed Jennie to the refrigerator, watching as she pulled out a bottle of chardonnay. She hoped Jennie had been able to scientifically establish the fact that her own attacker was the same man who killed the woman in the alley. Lisa had smelled it, of course, but could never tell Jennie. "So it's the same guy, right? The one who killed the woman in Golden Gate Park?"