36

"I'm sorry about your mom." Said Lucy as we were seated outside of the school. She places a comforting hand over my left shoulder blade.

"She'll be okay." I say.

I had to believe it.

We have been seated out here for thirty minutes now. I told her that she could go to class, but she insisted on staying with me.

"Anyways, what's with you and Mitchell?" I change the subject.

She's caught by surprise. "Uh, he's an idiot." She says. "We've been texting, mostly arguing. Get this, he thinks that Jon Snow should've been king in the end."

I shake my head. "No way, he's delusional."

"Right! Everyone knows Dany should've been queen."

"Definitely." I agreed.

A forceful breeze picked up, causing fallen leaves to rustle across the grass. I close my eyes and inhale a deep and calming breath, allowing it to fill my lungs.

"So..." Lucy started, taking a breath before continuing. "What do you want to do?"

I take another breath as I contemplated wether or not I should just go back inside.

From behind, the doors to the school's building make a loud clank as the open.

Lucy and I both simultaneously turn around.

It's Grayson...

His eyes are focused on the pavement below him as he walked suavely towards the parking lot.

"Where are you going?" I voiced.

He looks over at us and halts in place. "I'm headed out." He answers.

"Don't you have class?" I ask him.

He approaches us. "I could ask the same for you."

"Fuck class." I turn away.

"Is everything okay?" He asks.

"Not really." I answer, sighing dramatically.

Silence ensued. The awkward kind. In the distance I could hear the sound of ongoing traffic, faint construction work, along with the songs of hidden birds.

"Well," Grayson's voice cuts through the silence. "I have a free period.. and I was thinking about going to the mall for some of those awesome cinnamon donuts that they have there." He takes a few steps before turning and facing Lucy and I. "Do you guys wanna come?"

"Hell yeah!" Lucy answered for the both of us.

"Okay, let's go." He starts towards his car.

"I call shotgun!" Lucy said excitedly as she started to skip across the parking lot.

"First time ditching school?" Grayson asked her as he dug into his pocket to pull out his car keys. After which, he clicks the button to unlock his vehicle.

"I've ditched school before." She answered defensively.

"No she hasn't." I corrected quiet enough so that only Grayson heard me.

"Your mom starts chemo today, right?" Grayson walks at a slower pace.

"Yeah." I say.

"I hope it works."

You and me both.

We get into the car and head to the mall. Since Lucy had called shotgun, I was seated in the backseat with my head slumped backwards against the headrest as a rush of cool air crept through Grayson's open window and battered against my face.