30

After leaving the movies and sitting on a bench for thirty to forty minutes, I texted my friends in our group chat to see if any of them wanted to hang out.

Jake:
Can't today.

Hannah:
Maybe later?

Sorry Dal.

Lucy:
I'm sick 😷

Phillip:
I'm busy right now, but maybe we can do something later?

It's past 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, how is nobody free to hang out? Cody usually works at Joe's Cafe on Sundays, maybe I could stop by and see if he wants to hang out afterwards? It would be nice to talk to him.

Joe's Cafe was not too far down the street from the cinema, so it wouldn't be that much of an effort to walk there, even for someone with a sprained ankle.

I had texted Deja and told her I had to go home. I tried to come up with a good excuse as to why I decided to ditch her mid-date. I mean, who does that? Then again, who makes out with their brother's best friend in the restroom while being on said date?

And that movie was actually interesting...

The excuse I ended up giving her was the classic 'I feel sick.' Luckily, I was an expert in faking being sick, which isn't exactly a cool thing to brag about. And to add more luck, she seemed to believe it.

I make it to the outside of Joe's Cafe. It's a small rustic building, and a dozen plants adorned it's bricky facade.

I surveyed it's interior through the window to see if Cody was inside. In the far back corner, he stands with his apron still on as he approaches a table.

Wait.

That girl kind of looks like Hannah...

I focus on the girl and come to the realisation that it actually is Hannah, and she's seated at a table with Jake and Phillip? I can't believe it.

Cody takes a seat beside them and starts a conversation.

Lucy wasn't there, but for all I knew, she was probably in the bathroom. Either that, or she was actually telling the truth when she said that she was sick.

Why didn't they invite me?

I take a step backwards away from the window and started woefully on my way home.

Maybe they have a perfectly good reason as to why they didn't invite me?

I tried my best not to think about it as I walked home, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Instead, I found myself fixated on the scorching sun that was currently roasting me alive. If I liked swimming, I would consider going to the nearest body of water and throw myself into it.

As I turn a corner, a text came through on my phone, causing me to come to a halt. It's not like I could text and crutch.

Deja:
I'm sad you missed the rest of the movie. It was so good!

Me:
I'm sorry I missed it.

Deja:
Maybe we could see it again sometime?

Me:
Yeah, maybe.

I slipped my phone back into my pocket and continued the unbearable walk home.

Grayson's car was in the driveway.

Dear lord, please smite me.

I reluctantly walk across the street towards my house. It's totally fine. He's probably hanging out with Mitchell playing stupid video games like always. I can easily just crutch straight upstairs and lock my bedroom door to make sure he doesn't enter and spontaneously make out with me again.