23

"Oh my god! Are we lost?" I hyperventilated.

"We are not lost." Grayson says. "I'm sure the camp is just up ahead."

"You said that five minutes ago!" I clicked my tongue with annoyance. "Let's turn back." I say.

"Which way is back?" He asked.

I forgot that this idiot was high! Why the hell did I listen to him when he said to go right?

I paused and pulled my phone from out of my pocket, praying that there was enough bars to text Hannah. Crap, she's probably still at the campsite and there's no reception there!

Okay, new plan: get cell reception and use maps to find the campsite to make our way back. With my eyes glued to the empty reception bars on the top corner of my phone's screen, I started to walk in the opposite direction. After five minutes of searching for cell reception, my phone shut off.

"Fuck!" I groaned.

"What happened?" Grayson wondered.

Like he cared.

"Did you bring your phone?" I asked him.

That was a rhetorical question. Of course he has his phone, he was talking to his mother on it before I scared him.

"See if you have any bars." I ordered.

He pulled his phone from his pocket and clicked it on, squinting at the brightness that came from it.

"Nope." He says before slipping it back into his pocket.

"Shush!" I shushed him, hearing a faint noise in the distance and hoping that it was people at the camp.

It was a cricket, which only infuriated me.

"Don't shush me."

I rolled my eyes as I kicked the trunk of the closest tree, completely frustrated.

"I'm sure everyone is looking for us." Grayson says, attempting to make me feel better but not at all succeeding.

The trees were silhouetted against a waning gibbous moon, making it possible to be able to see. "Can you turn your flashlight on?" I asked Grayson, seeing as his phone was the only one with a charged battery. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone, turning on the flash. A rush of relief flooded through me. I'm not afraid of the dark, but I'm not an idiot either. A flashlight went a long way when lost in the woods, not that I am an expert in the matter. But, without a flashlight, I could easily walk into a ditch. With a flashlight, I'll be able to see it coming, and instead I can push Grayson into it for getting us lost. Maybe if we wave the phone over our heads, someone from the camp might see it?

At the sound of a twig snapping, I instinctively reached for Grayson's arm.

"You scared?" He asks arrogantly as we halted.

"Well, we are lost in the woods. What if there's a bear, or a wolf? Or a mythical creature with massive fangs that hasn't eaten a proper meal in days?" I released my hands from his arm.

"You're being dramatic." He says.

He's not wrong.

Another twig snapped, causing Grayson to instinctively grip onto my arm.