08

I woke up the next morning to the sound of rain pattering against my bedroom window. I pulled my blanket off of my body and slowly slid my legs over towards the edge of the bed, where I let my bare feet connect with my bedroom floor. I sat up, rubbing my hands over my eyes. I hated waking up so early, honestly. I would not be opposed to the idea of school starting midday and ending after dark.

I reluctantly stood up from my bed and made my way downstairs to make myself something for breakfast. Mitchell was already seated at the table, hastily and sloppily eating whatever cereal he had put into his bowl. Knowing my brother, he's probably already on his second or third bowl of cereal. The kid could have an entire buffet for breakfast and still somehow be completely capable of eating dinner.

"Where's mom and dad?" I wondered, rubbing my eyes awake as I walked towards the pantry.

"Mom's at work, dad went to fix something over at grandma's." Mitchell answered with his mouth full.

Ugh, he's such a disgusting pig.

I reached for a loaf of bread and checked the date to make sure that it was still good.

"So, why'd you skip school yesterday?" He asked me as I made my way towards the toaster with the loaf of bread I had just retrieved.

After slipping in two slices of bread, I turned around and groaned. I hated mornings.

"I don't know, I just didn't really feel like being at school." Was my response.

I traipsed towards the refrigerator and pulled out a carton of milk before heading to the cabinet to find a mug.

"What's going on with you? You used to love school."

I scoffed at that. Nobody in their right mind loves school. I mean, what is there to love? Pop quizzes, annoying mouth breathers sitting next to you in class, science class, exams. I mean, it's practically hell on earth.

"School sucks." I stated, pouring some fresh brewed coffee into my mug. "Always has, and it always will."

"Okay?" He picked up the bowl and began drinking the leftover milk.

"Do you need a lift to school today?" He asked me after putting the bowl back down and letting out a gross, loud and long burp.

"I'm not walking to school in the rain, so yes." I answered him just as my toast popped.

I reached up into the top corner cabinet and got a plate to put my toast on. Then, I walked back to the refrigerator to get some butter. Say what you will, butter on plain toast was spectacular, especially paired with a mug of hot coffee.

After buttering the two slices of toast, I then turned my attention to the coffee, putting in two teaspoons of sugar before stirring it. Afterwards, I poured in some milk and carried my breakfast to the table, taking a seat at the head of it.

"This rain better fuck off, I'm meant to practice later on." Mitchell complained.

"Well I hope it sticks around, I love wet weather, more so when it storms." I said. What can I say, storms pretty much matched my constant state of mind.

"Yeah, cause you're a fucking weirdo." He stood from the table and carried his used dishes to the sink.

I took a bite out of my toast.

"Hurry up and eat then get ready." Mitchell ordered.

"There's still ages til school starts." I said, taking another bite of toast.

"I gotta pick Grayson up." He stated.

I rolled my eyes. "Doesn't he have his own car? Tell him to drive himself to school."