Truth about Julian

I lit another cigarette as Elijah and his partner sat down across from me. I watched as they put a recorder on the table between us and took out a notebook. Then, they looked at me.

"What do you need to know?" I asked after a moment.

"Whatever you can tell us," Elijah said, his pen poised on the paper.

I took a deep breath. "Okay. I was fifteen when I met Julian. I'd been fending for myself on the streets for a few weeks. I'm not sure how long. Maybe a month? Julian was situated in a tattoo parlor—which isn't where he's at now. It got busted when I did, but the cops never found anything.

"Anyway...I was trying to get some food from a gas station across the street. And miserably failing. Julian sent one of his guys over to get me. At the time, it was great to feel needed. That's how Julian always lures his people in. He makes it seem like he needs you when he really doesn't. I was stupid and lonely.

"So, I went in. He fed me. Let me get cleaned up. I knew that he was trouble, but I didn't know exactly what he was into. He didn't tell me for about a week, probably because he was trying to feel out if I was going to run or not.

"It wasn't a surprise when he did tell me. I mean, I was starting to figure it out based off the people that were coming in and out of the shop. He asked if I was willing to help with his business because I was young, and I could pull in the young people. I said yes. I was still riding that feeling he gave me when he said he needed me in order to make this happen. After years of not feeling important because of my father, it was nice."

I took a drag of the cigarette. The shaking was starting to return. I didn't know how much longer it would be before the craving started coming back in full force or the detox symptoms. Maybe Bella was waiting outside and could give me some more meds in exchange for me telling them what they wanted.

"So, I went on a few deals with them. It was simple. Give the drugs at a party, take the money and make sure it was the right amount. Not rocket science even for me. That went on for a couple of weeks until I made a deal at a party. They were these frat boys at a college about an hour away. They wanted to make sure that a kid wasn't selling them impure drugs and wanted me to try them.

"And so I did," I said with a shrug. "I didn't think it was a big deal until I started wanting them again and realized I'd fucked up. I could have stopped. It wasn't like I was a junkie yet, but I didn't want to stop. I was stressed and it had been a great way to forget about all the shit that had happened in my life.

"As I gained Julian's trust, I was able to go with his guys to shakedown, I guess, the guys who hadn't paid their tabs. Sometimes it wasn't a big deal. Just scare them a little so that they cough up the money. Other times, when they weren't able to pay or were trying to play the big man, it got a little messy. I've been cursed at, sucker punched, had a gun pointed out, cut with a knife, knocked unconscious, and a dozen other things because we had to use force to get Julian's money."

"What if you didn't get the money?" Elijah asked, glancing up at me.

I took a drag of the cigarette and knocked the ashes off into the tray. "Julian had creative ways. I've seen him nearly drown people or threaten to cut off a finger or a toe. I've seen him have his workers hold people down while another beat the person until they were almost dead."

"You've never seen him kill someone?"

I laughed. "Kill? Julian? God no. He didn't even beat people up. I've never seen him get his hands dirty. He's all about the money and not the dirty work. He's never gone with us to make a deal or to collect. He keeps his hands as clean as he can."