Asking for a Favor

Elijah didn't tell Lauren why we had to eat at home that night, at least not when I was present. I was sure that he told her after I went to bed early because the next morning, she took the day off work and she called me off school so we could finally get some things of my own for my room.

We spent the day wandering in and out of stores at the mall and along main street. She didn't bring up my parents and I didn't ask if Elijah had told her. It was nice to be able to do something normal and it was even better to not be at school.

Elijah dropped me off at Maia's on his way to work. He questioned her to make sure that it really was going to just be the two of us. Lauren had sent me with a bag of snacks and drinks so that it didn't seem like we were taking advantage of her family's money.

Maia laughed when she opened the bags and saw how much shit was in them. I left my bags in the living room as I followed her upstairs to her room.

"So...I was thinking we could play a movie drinking game. Take a drink every time someone says a certain word or something," she said as she flopped down on her bed. "My dad's got this great booze stash we can raid, and he'll never even know."

I sat down on the bed next to her, scooting so my back was against the headboard. "I'm an addict, Maia. I can't really do anything that doesn't let me be in control of myself."

"It's not like there are drugs here," she said as she rolled her eyes.

"Not even over-the-counter pain killers or cold medicine?" I asked, arching an eyebrow. "What about when you fall asleep, and I sneak out to go buy drugs?"

She sighed. "Sorry. I didn't think about how smart a person can be when they need a high."

I laughed. "Oh, we're not smart. We're just desperate."

She smiled softly, resting her hands on her stomach. "I still can't believe that your foster parents are letting you spend the weekend with me."

"It's a reward for good behavior," I replied with a shrug. "I haven't given them a reason to not trust me lately."

She sat up and moved so that our arms were touching. "That's great."

"Yeah, and I told Elijah about my dad," I told her, looking down at my hands. "I didn't really mean to, but he and Lauren needed to know. It was time that someone other than the two of us knew."

She reached down and took my hand so I'd stop picking at the skin. "That is really great, Rafe," Maia said softly. "I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you to do."
I nodded. It wouldn't ever be easy to talk about what he did to me, but that was what I had to do to make it easier for myself then I was all for it. Maybe I would tell my counselor next. Maybe Dylan and Heather. Maybe I would just keep talking about my experiences so I could help someone. Even just one person and it would have been worth it.

"What do you want to do instead?" Maia asked.

I looked down at her and I realized that Elijah was right. No matter how hard I tried, I had feelings for her. As I looked at her, I counted the months to make sure that it had been an adequate amount of time for my recovery before I got involved with someone.

I reached forward with my free hand and cupped her cheek gently before I leaned down to press my lips against hers. I hovered above them for a moment, not sure if she was looking for the same thing, but she leaned forward and closed the gap. She wrapped her free hand around the back of my head, pulling me closer against her.