Human

AN/
another trans merlin fic
this one only small tho
im a sucker for merlin/gwaine friendship
also a sucker for overprotective arthur+leon

CW: Language, blood

——————————————————————————

Merlin had been up half the night, curled up tight into a small ball upon his bed matt and wishing for the pain to leave. He was far away from the burning embers of the fire he had set up, yet still his skin felt as though it were smouldering to the touch. The boy bit the insides of his cheeks, gnawing off the flesh with his teeth in an attempt of distraction. Though nothing could soothe him, he had no potions with him and Gaius was back in Camelot- over a day away on horseback.

As the moon shone down on him he groaned into his neckerchief and blinked back threatening tears as the pain grew more unbearable. Not even his magic could lull him into a comforting sleep. Leon was off in the near distance, sword by his side as he kept watch of their camp. Even in the shadows Merlin could tell that the older man was exhausted. He wanted to help, he wanted to get up and relieve him of sentry position but even the thought of moving sent shocks of hurt through his entire body.

Eventually Leon had switch with Elyan, who was just as drained as the other knights. Still, Merlin felt guilty. The servant remained there, curled tight until his bones ached and his joints went stiff- he remained there until the first birds began to sing their morning song and the hint of daylight broke over the horizon through the trees.

Only then did Merlin force his way to the land of the living, clinging upon a neighbouring tree as he clambered up. The fire had long died down, now just a pile of burnt ash and skeletal leaves. Hand pressed awkwardly against his stomach he visited the horses, making sure they were watered and fed, well prepared for the journey they had ahead. Hand pressed awkwardly against his stomach as he gathered the pots and pans and rebuilt the fire for their breakfast. Hand clawing into his forearm for distraction as he woke the knights, not wanting to raise any concern with the group.

"Rise and shine sire."
Merlin shook Arthur awake, voice monotone and smile void on his face. The King groaned and rubbed his eyes before sending a questioning eyebrow raise to his servant. Merlin only soothed him with a soft smile before turning to wake Gwaine and Percival.

Arthur took a double take, gaze flitting between the back of Merlins trousers and the pot of food he had cooked. The King attempted to shake the concern that instantly flooded him although found it hard to do so the more he inspected. It wasn't a trick of the light, Merlins trousers definitely appeared to be stained with a deep crimson colour.

Blood.

Arthur quickly shook Leon awake, frantically tapping the shoulders of his first knight and whispering rather loudly in his ear.

"Jesus Arthur im awake give a man a second."
Leon grumbled from besides him, voice still deep and rasped with sleep.

"I don't have a second Leon, wake up now."
Arthur's voice was harsh and Leon's eyes widened at the tone.

"What's wrong?"
Leon inquired, understanding his friend well enough to be able to read the clear discomfort upon his face.

"Look at Merlin."
Arthur stated simply.
Leon's eyes roamed the smaller boy and cocked his head as he tried to see something he was clearly missing.

"I don't understa-"
Leon begun before Arthur cut him off,
"His trousers Leon, look at them."
Once again Leon studied him, bottom lip toying between his teeth as he examined.

"Oh shit."
He exclaimed between the pair as he caught sight of Arthur's concern.

"What is it do you think?"
Arthur wondered, hoping Leon wouldn't confirm his concerns and that Merlin had just sat upon some mud and dirtied himself up.