"Are you kidding? Y/N, that's genius!" Hange also stood and reached over the table to grab at Y/N's shoulders. "Erwin, I think if she wanted to she could replace you!"

Levi unconsciously shot Erwin, Mike, and Hange a scowl, to which none of them noticed with their attention trained on Y/N. He himself wanted to say such kind words to her, for reasons he couldn't quite understand yet, but he lacked the vocabulary to convey such thoughts to her. Much less in a crowded room.

"Alright, I think this meeting is adjourned! This is the most progress we've had in awhile, so it's safe to say we can all take a break." Erwin chuckled, much to Levi's relief.

Finally.

Levi, Y/N, and Mike stood from their seats and joined Hange in saluting Erwin, of which he returned. Everyone began to file out of the room in a line; with Erwin, Levi and Y/N near the back.

With the other's attention trained on leaving to room to go about their days, Levi made up his mind that he would take this opportunity to congratulate Y/N on her brilliance like the others had. But the moment he gained her attention and opened his mouth to speak, Erwin approached them and placed a sturdy hand onto the woman's shoulder.

"Y/N, would you mind taking a moment to sign your signature onto a form I must send to Commander Pyxis in regards to this meeting? Keeping him informed on our movements is one of my requirements. And since this was your idea, I want you to have the honors of taking the credit." Erwin smiled down to Y/N, who looked up to him in shock.

"But, sir, are you sure?" she asked breathlessly.

"Of course, Y/N. I value you, and as such I want you to take the credit for your own genius; as Hange put it." Erwin reassured.

Levi shot a look up towards Erwin, but the Commander didn't seem to notice. With a scoff, Levi made for the door.

As much as he wanted to speak with Y/N, he knew it was pointless to try now. He would simply have to wait.
As he left, he heard the sweet sound of Y/N's laughter as she agreed and thanked the Commander when he handed her a form sheet.

Though he hadn't meant to, Levi closed the door behind him with a bang.

Slightly embarrassed and confused by his behavior, he clicked his tongue and made for his own office to finish his unattended work. Perhaps this would distract him from the odd pinging feelings in his heart.

════════════════════════════

Around two hours later, Levi was finished. With nothing else left to do, he stood from his desk and stretched. Before he could even make up his mind as to what he should do now, he heard voices outside his closed office door.

Y/N?

Briskly walking to his door, he flung it open and darted his eyes back and forth up and down the hall. And indeed, there she stood.
Y/N and one of the cadets in her squad walked side by side down the hall, engaged in some sort of chit chat.

Combing his hair back with a hand and straightening his uniform, Levi left the safety of his office and closed his door behind him.
Maybe now, he could congratulate her.
Thinking about this, he couldn't help but scoff.
He'd never thought this hard about praising someone for their work before. Actually, as he thought about it, he'd never congratulated anyone on their work before.

What does this mean?

When Y/N's eyes met his, she suddenly faltered in her step and stopped mid sentence. She awkwardly waved to him, and quickly averted her gaze. When he awkwardly waved back, not knowing how else to react, she quickly sent the cadet on their way and approached Levi.
Once in front of him, she stammered for the right words to say.