Chapter Thirty Three | NightEye

Start from the beginning

"Thank you for believing in me, Enji," I say, my smile growing impossibly wider each second we keep eye contact. When my smile turns to a smirk, Enji glares at me. "So...why were you crying?"

Enji turns his body, his back facing me and his arms crossed over his chest. "I was not crying! Allergies just got to me at the wrong time..!"

"So what you're saying is that your allergies just so happen to affect you when you came to visit me?" I press, every cell in my body enjoying this teasing.

Enji pauses, his flames hissing once more until he uttered a, "Yes", but not before clearing his throat and stuttering.

"Forgive me, but I find that hard to believe," I say, getting up on my knees and leaning on my hand for support, a few inches from Enji's ear.

Enji refuses to look at me, scooting further from me and turning his body further towards the window to our right. "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. That's what happened."

I roll back onto the gigantic hospital pillows, pushing my back as best I can against the headboard. "Okay, fine, you win, Mr. Grumpy. Change subject."

"Good. I was getting tired of your accusation," Enji says, a hint of playfulness in his voice.

Another smile starts to creep up, taking place in a matter of seconds. "This will be for another time. But for now, I have a question."

Enji turns his body again, this time all the way around so that he's facing me. And I'm starting to wish I didn't move; because if I didn't, then we'd be close to each other.

"Fire away."

"Where's NightEye? Is he okay?"

I don't have to do much searching for me to realize that NightEye's not doing good. All it took was mentioning his name to get Enji all stiff.

Enji pauses for a moment, leaving me in suspense. "He was rushed to the hospital the same time as you. He was bleeding out, and so they rushed him into the operating room. He got out a few minutes before you did."

"Did you see him yet?" I ask, my face involuntarily frowning in worry. "Is someone watching him right now?"

"I didn't go to see him. I only heard about his wellbeing when I rushed over here to see you."

oh, wow. He rushed over here to see me. How special am I.

I'm not the only one who sees the value in those words, because Enji starts to do that thing where he squints his eyes at absolutely nothing when he says something that means another.

"What did they say about his condition?" I press, trying to grasp his situation.

"I talked to Aizawa for a brief moment. He said that NightEye's in critical condition last time he checked in with his doctor," Enji explains, his brows scrunching.

I try hoisting myself up, but the pain in my ribs cause me to nearly collapse, Enji catching me in the nick of time before I'd get further injured. "I want to go see NightEye."

"You can't even get up from the bed, y/n," Enji helps me stabilize my sitting position, gently pulling my legs off the edge of the bed so I can sit correctly. "How are you going to go see him?"

I pull off a smile, though to be honest, the pain in my ribs is starting to kick my ass. "Luckily, I have you to take me."

Enji doesn't smile back. Instead, he looks at me and sighs. "I know you're eager to see him, but you do realize you just got out of surgery yourself, right? That you almost died too."