Ch. 61 Stirling's Strings

Start from the beginning

Trying to remember where he heard it, Mitch played it over and over until he was able to figure out a few more notes. Kirstie turned her attention back to him and stood next to the piano.

"What are you playing?" She asked.

"Not sure, I can't remember where I heard this tune from." Mitch stared ahead and frowned, thinking hard. "And I don't know why I can't remember any more notes."

"Well, it's probably because you're only playing the melody," Kirstie suggested, sitting next to him on the bench. Mitch glanced at her but didn't say anything, only scooting over a bit so they wouldn't be so close. "When music is transferred from song to piano the lyrics become their own melody," she explained. "You have to play the actual music too in order to get the whole song."

"Okay, and how am I supposed to do that if I don't know what I'm remembering?"

"I could help you figure it out. Just keep doing what you were doing, I'll add a few notes, and you tell me if anything sounds familiar."

Mitch rolled his eyes but accepted the help as it gave him something to do. He continued playing the same keys over and over while Kirstie tried her best to find notes that would fit. After a bit more discussion, Mitch immediately stopped as he remembered where he heard the song from;

Two small boys, sitting at a piano, with a woman showing them what keys to press to play music. Both trying and messing up. Both cheering as they finally got a section right and laughing as they were rewarded with warm hugs.

He was snapped back to the present as he heard Kirstie calling his name.

"Mitch?"

"Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

"I'm uh... I'm-I'm fine."

"Okay, I asked if you remembered the song?"

"Oh... uh, yeah, yeah I did."

Kirstie could tell something was bothering Mitch. He had that distant look in his eyes like he was trying and failing to think of something.

"Alright, well... I didn't know you knew how to play piano." She offered.

Mitch was silent for a few seconds before quickly closing the fallboard and standing up.

"I don't." Was all he said before moving deeper into the music store.

"Hey, wait!" Kirstie followed him until they got to where the three drum kits were.

She stopped as Mitch kicked someone off one of the sets and immediately started banging on the drums really loudly to a random beat. Kirstie sighed, realizing that Mitch was now in no mood to talk.

~*~*~

Avi and Scott lingered by the acoustic guitars and basses, while Kevin and Todrick went toward the back to see the owner.

"Knock knock!~" Kevin called out, opening the door. "I'm here! And I brought a special friend!"

A pale woman with brown hair and blue eyes who was showing someone a viola looked over at them and smiled.

"Hey! It's my boys!" She turned to the customer and said, "We'll continue this later."

They nodded and left the room as she ran over and hugged the two.

"How've you been, Linds? Long time no see." Todrick grinned, returning the hug.

"Busy as usual. Ugh, I've missed you guys." She said, giving them a big squeeze before letting go.