Chapter 13

Winter

James and I walked into the phone store. There was so many people in there. It made me feel uncomfortable. I tried to dodge people as we made our way in.

"Worker! Please turn on the heater! It's all of a sudden got really cold in here!" One person complained. I looked at my hands and saw them starting to spark up with my cold flame. I closed my hands real quick.

"Calm down, Winter. You're fine." James sighed. I nodded shyly.

"Hello. Welcome! What are you here for?" I looked up and saw a really cute worker smiling at me.

"Oh, hey Benn." James said. Benn looked at James and smiled.

"Hey, James. What are you doin' here on this side of town?" Benn asked.

"Getting her a new phone." James replied. Benn looked at me.

"Oh, hey. My name is Benn, Benn Sine." Benn stuck out his hand. I stared at it without moving. James smiled nervously.

"Sorry, she's new here." James apologized. Benn brought his hand back.

"Sorry. Uh, where you from?" Benn ask, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Minnesota." James blurted. I looked at him.

"Minnesota? So, are you like, Canadian or something? Because from what I heard, that is where all the Canadians are from." I shook my head.

"No." I said simply. Benn stopped smiling and nodded.

"Oh, okay." Benn paused. "So, you need a phone, huh?" James nodded.

"That'll be nice." Benn smiled and started to walk to the desk. James followed. I looked behind me and saw two to familiar men standing about ten feet away from me, looking around.

"Shit." I whispered. James stopped walking and turned around.

"What?" James asked. I turned and faced him.

"We have to go now." James started to me.

"What?" James asked again. I looked at the two men. One of them turned and looked at me. He patted the other guys shoulder and pointed at me. The other man looked at me with a shocked face.

"Damn it." I whispered even louder. I grabbed James hand and we ran out of the store. I started to dodge people all throughout the store.

"What the hell is goin' on?" James asked as he kept running

"Just follow me!" I yelled back. We kept running. Knocking people out of our way. I looked behind me. The men were still following me. I ran to the other side of the mall. We ran out to the parking lot.

"Winter Meg! Stop!" One the men demanded. I kept running.

"Winter!" A familiar voice called out. I stopped running and turned around. A black van pulled out of no where. All of a sudden, the door slide open, and Mom, Dad, and Alex came out with agents behind them, holding guns to there heads threateningly.

I swallowed hard, trying to hold back the tears. The agents forced all three of them to their knees, still holding the guns to their heads.

"Winter. If you want to save your family, give yourself up." One of the agents said.

"How in the hell, did you find them. Maiden doesn't even know they're still alive." The agents chuckled.

"Maiden doesn't know they're alive, but the government knows." I swallowed hard again as I closed my eyes.

"Fine. You win." I signed. I opened my eyes and saw the agents all smile their ugly, discussing smiles.

"Good. Now, slide your gun over." I sighed and got my gun of from my pants. I put it on the floor and with my foot. I kicked it over to him. The agent picked it up and put it in his pocket. I put my hands in the air.

"James." I whispered without looking at him. "If I were you, I'd go home." Two of the agents walked over to me and forced my hands behind my back. They put the handcuffs on and started to talk to the van. "Release my family, now." I demanded. The agent laughed.

"Fine, since I keep my promises." I looked over and the the three agents kick my family in the back, knocking them over to their sides.

"No!" I screamed, I tried to run to them, but the two agents held me tight.

"Come on, let's get to the lab."