Chapter 9

Winter

I looked at James. He was looking down at bottle. I sighed. "But, I need your help." I blurted softly. He looked at me quickly.

"With what?" He asked. I looked at him.

"With being normal. Like a normal, sixteen year old girl." I replied. He looked down with only his eyes, nodded, and looked at me.

"Alright, we have to go shoppin'." He said while smiling. I smiled.

"Right now?" I asked. He nodded and got up from his chair.

"Yeah right now. Let's go. My trucks outside." He stated. I smiled and got up from my chair.

"Okay. Let me get my keys. Come here." I stated. I walked over to the living room and quickly picked up my gun on the floor. Then I headed for the stairs.

"Where we goin'?" James asked as he tried to catch up with me.

"My room. I need my keys." I repeated. We finally got to the top of the stairs. I opened the door of my room and walked in, James still following.

I walked to my dresser and opened the middle drawer. I picked up my keys and closed the drawer. I put the keys in my back pocket and walked out of my room into my parents room.

"What are we doin' now?" James asked.

"I'm gonna get you something." I replied. I opened my parents bedroom door and walked in. I walked to the bookshelf they have inside their room and found the book.

I hooked my pointer finger on the top of the book and tipped it over. The small little section of the bookshelf swung open.

"Woah." James said in aw. I stuck my hand inside and pulled out the gun inside. I closed the little door. I put both hands on the gun and took out the bullets to make sure they were in there, then put them back in.

I flipped the gun to where the barrel was facing me. I turned to James and stuck out my arm that had the gun in it. He started at the gun, then at me. "Oh no. I'm not gonna carry that around." James stated while pointing at the gun.

"So, you don't want to survive?" I asked. He stared at me. "James, you never know who's out there. You need protection to help you not get into any trouble." I stated. He sighed, and took the gun.

"Where do I even put it?" He asked. I got my gun and put it on the back of my shorts.

"Anywhere that it feels comfortable and not visible."