Chapter 1

James

Another day, another job interview.

This is getting tiring. I had already six interviews for farm jobs and no one agreed to me. "James!" I heard my little sister, Cj, scream from across the house.

"Cj Green, don't you scream! You'll scare the horses." I yelled back at her.

"Well okay, but I don't understand why you get to yell across the house and I don't." I heard Cj yell as she walks up to my room. I walked over to my mirror leaning up against the wall and started to fix my cowboy hat. "Another job thingy?" Cj asked with a big smile. I looked over at her.

"Yes, another job thingy." I replied. Cj started to laugh. I love it when she laughs.

"Why do you have to go to work? You and Daddy alway work while I'm over here takin' care of the animals." Cj whined.

"Well, Cj," I paused. "You like ridin' the horses, right?" I asked as I walked over to my bed slowly.

"Well, of course I do!" Cj yelled. I put my hands in my pocket.

"And you love the pigs, and the cows, and chickens..." I continued.

"Yeah..." Cj said hesitantly.

"And you love livin' down in Georgia, right? With all your friends and your teacher, Mrs. Daisy?" I asked.

"Uh huh." Cj said, nodding. I looked over at her.

"Well, then me and Daddy gotta work to live down here. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know." Cj shot me a confused look.

"It doesn't?" She asked. I laughed.

"No. Here, if it makes it any better, I'll ride the horses with you for twenty minutes. Then I gotta leave." Cj smiled.

"Alright! That's why I came in here." Cj yelled. She turned around and ran to the front door.

"Cj, wait!" I screamed. I ran to catch up to her. I heard her slam the door hard. I ran to the door and opened it. I looked out. "Cj?" I asked. She wasn't moving, like she's in shook. I closed the door and started to walk closer to Cj.

"Cj, what's wrong?" I asked. I looked up and saw a man with a black hoodie around his head, both hands in his sweatshirt pocket, looking down. "Hello?!" I yelled to him, he didn't move. "Cj, get in the house." I demanded softly into her ear.

Cj started to back up slowly. I stood where I was. The man started to pull something out of his pocket. I kept an eye on his hand.

A gun.

I turned to Cj.

"Cj run!" I screamed. I turned to Cj and she started to run. I looked back at the man and he held up the black pistol. But not at me, but at Cj. "Stop!" I screamed, but I was to late, he shot it. I turned around to Cj and say her stumble onto the ground. I ran over to her and kneeled down. I looked back at the man.

But he was gone, like magic.