"Taehyung, I messed up. My father...I was so wrong about him...ah...Oh, Taehyung, what did I do..."

"That's what he kept saying. He wouldn't tell me what it was. He just cried on the phone for hours. He told me to never say a word to you." Taehyung explained regretfully. Maybe he shouldn't have conceded to his wishes. The news of his disappearance only confirmed that his judgment was wrong and that it was a bad idea. He shouldn't have let it go when Jungkook said that it was fine later on.

"We talked on the phone after that incident and he sounded fine. Maybe too fine. I should've known he was faking it. Heiran, do you know what happened? His father died nine years ago. I thought he was over it. He was moving on."

"I know, Tae. That's exactly why it's suspicious." Heiran stared down at the city through her window, her mind racing through all the possibilities. All the signs she missed.

There must be a reason he had suddenly brought up his father. From his choice of words, Heiran deduced that it was a discovery. He had found something that had greatly upset him. Heiran just had to figure out what it was.

The man of the hour wasn't present at the moment to provide her with the answers she needed. Nor was he answering the phone. But Heiran knew a place where he spent the most time. A place where she would definitely find a clue.

"Thanks, Tae. I will call you later."

Heiran tossed the phone onto her couch and stared out at the city lights.

* * *

The next morning Ahn Heiran took a detour to the East Wing of the Prosecutor's office where a particularly infuriating man's office was located. However, marching straight to her destination would be pointless. She had the distinct feeling the door would be locked. So she stopped short in front of the room of a familiar name plaque and snuck inside with a flowery greeting.

"Good Morning, Minseo! How's everything going?"

The room was small, but it held an inexplicable coziness to it despite the mountain of paperwork that greeted on entry and the worn-out cushions cramped into the room. The sound of keys clacking fervently on the keyboard echoed in the space. A giant pendulum clock hung in the corner. Every inch of the floor was occupied by something and left little room to navigate. Together the ensemble created a mixed effect of both a 'keep out' and a 'welcome' sign, much reminiscent of the owner of the room.

A bespectacled face peeked out from behind the piles of printed sheets on the table and beamed. "Ah, Heiran Seonbae! I was wondering when you will show up. Good to have you in my office."

Lee Minseo's honey-brown eyes were magnified by her giant set of glasses that sat on her nose, and the brown strands that fell in tasteful curves, framing her face exemplified her pretty image. But her cuteness was an excellent disguise for the constant mischief hidden beneath it.

"You were expecting me?" Heiran asked, puzzled as she managed to take a seat.

"Sort of," Minseo sent her a discreet wink that Heiran wasn't sure how to interpret.

"So what can I do for you?" She questioned returning her attention to the laptop, feverishly typing on the keyboard with great intensity.

Heiran decided to slowly ease into a natural conversation, "Umm, I just wanted to know how you were doing—"

"Cut the crap." Minseo interrupted. She leaned back in her chair, taking a break from her maniacal typing to sip her coffee. "Sorry, excusez-moi my language, but we both know you're not here for that."