what is this- a dog show ?

Start from the beginning

Remus lifted his eyebrows more in annoyance then anything, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Just be careful okay? Stay close to James and Lily," Remus told her quietly, his voice barley above a whisper.

"Think I can't handle myself Lupin?" she said playfully, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrows.

He paused for a minute watching her with an amused expression. His eyes dancing across her blushed cheeks and pretty painted eyelids.

"No," he said slowly, reaching forward and brushing a piece of her hair out of her face, "it's that I don't trust those ass holes around you."

"It's a dinner party, Slughorn will be with us at all times. Nothing should go wrong," she tried to assure him, but she wasn't all that convinced herself. Silently Remus reached out and squeezed her hand, well James was hollering for her— it was time to go.

So, with one of the girls on each of his arm, James less them out of the common room, whistling as he did.

Lily might not have been able to tell, the girl rambling on about what guests she was wondering Slughorn would bring tonight— he always brought a couple name dropping worth alumni— but Aveline could tell their was some nerves in James. He kept dropping her arm to make sure his wand was in his pocket, the boy unnaturally silent.

He very well knew they were about to walk in a den full of snakes who would probably happily kill them if they had a chance. Their only saving grace was that this was a school event and Slughorn would be around.

When they arrived outside Slughorn's office, Lily knocked and James dropped their arms, sending Aveline a stern look. As if she could read his mind, the girl walked over to Lily's other side.

The two purebloods looking like Lily's body guards or something.

"Ah!" A very drunk Slughorn opened the door, his face flushed red as he looked at them happily. "Miss Rosier, Mr Potter— Mrs Pott— I mean Miss Evans! What pleasure it is, do come in!"

He practically ripped Aveline's arm out of her socket as he roughly pulled her into the room. She would've actually face planted if James had reach out to steady to her.

Dinner hadn't begun yet, so small groups of people were standing around with glasses in their hands chattering. Theodore Nott, Evan Rosier, Regulus Black, Mulciber , Avery, Crouch, Severus Snape, the Parkinson's— pretty much everyone that hated Aveline, James and Lily in one little room.

The conversation all but paused the second eyes flickered onto the trio. Many sharing hateful looks and sending them glares.

Without saying anything James reached out and put an arm around Lily's waist. Not because he was trying to be weird, but because he didn't like the way some of the blood predjuice creeps were glaring at Lily.

"Potter what the—" Lily tried to huff, attempting to push him away.

Though James only tugged her a little closer so he could whisper in her ear.

"Look around Lily. We need to be careful," he whispered, and that was all he had to say for her eyes to widen, and for the girl to actually snuggle in a little closer to James. Her heart seemed to skip a beat at the mere idea that was James was protecting her. Lily always liked to think of herself as an independent woman, but there was something about the way James was holding her that made her swoon.

James cursed himself as he saw Slughorn was already dragging Aveline around the room like a trophy, showing her off to a couple guests. Now that Evan and Aveline Rosier were the sole occupants of the entire Rosier fortune, it only made them that much more of a prize to have.