3 | Chicken

Henry

I stretched my arms backward, hearing my joints crackle in relief. Destiny insisted that people who are going to become "couples" always have their arms thrown around each other, so I was abiding by it. Mostly because I knew we weren't going to become couples, and doing this increased the probability that I'd get into her bed, hopefully, tonight.

My boys and I decided to come out to Maggie's, our favorite place to grab a bite to eat, and Destiny tagged along with her little posse. It's incredibly interesting that girls find any possible way to have a sidekick or a minion that will follow their each and every move. Their need to be an alpha is astonishing and pathetic, in all honesty. All of these things just add to my reasoning for not bothering to get into a relationship with anyone. 

No strings attached, that's just how I roll, and it wasn't ever going to change. Don't get me wrong, marriage in ten years sounds fine, it's just not on my agenda for a long time. 

"I'm telling you, they fry the fries in the same oil they fry chicken in!" One of Destiny's friends says. I forgot her name, and it didn't make sense for me to ask her, considering she was much less attractive, leaving her nowhere on my radar. Seems pretty cocky to say, but I didn't mind at all.

"Who cares?" Tate, a hockey and housemate, said. He bent over his plate and took a huge bite out of his burger, dropping orange sauce all over his shirt. A cheesy grin spread across his face as he tried to kiss one of Destiny's friends, making her shriek. I let a laugh spill out, but Destiny quickly shot me a glare. God, the things I'm doing to get laid.

I guess I didn't really need to do this, but Destiny has a lot of connections

"I'm a vegan, I can't have that garbage in my body if I know they slayed a poor animal for it." Her friend drawled out, and I rolled my eyes. I didn't know how much more of this I could take. My eyes focused on the drink sitting in front of me. Maybe if I ordered a few more, I could have the tolerance to hear more of this bullshit.

Alec, another friend of mine, picked the chicken out of his burger and hung it above his lips before spreading his mouth so wide I was sure his jaw would pop. He lowered the chicken into his mouth and bit into the piece making a loud crunch.

My fingers scanned the room, and I landed on a familiar pair of hazel eyes. Her lashes were long and dark, but I knew she wasn't wearing any mascara. Her hair was dark brown with brunette highlights, but it didn't look like she got it done. Her eyes locked with mine, and a smirk curled on my lips. She narrowed her eyes at me, glaring daggers, and instead of getting the message, I felt oddly turned on. Her fierce attitude, those legs that go on for days, and god, the opening of her v-neck tee shirt giving a glimpse of her cleavage was enough to bring me to my knees.

To get into her bed, maybe. 

Our encounter earlier flashed across my memory, and I recall Tate telling me to go get my "girl", Destiny. They'd convinced me if I didn't go save Destiny, then I'd never get in her pants. I don't think she needed saving, but it sure did make her like me more.

I let my fingers wrap around my cup as I put it to my lips before shifting my attention back to Alec. He pulled the piece of chicken back above his mouth and did tongue tricks to the stringy piece hanging off. 

A laugh gurgled out of my lips, and I could hold the drink in anymore. It went all over the place, spraying across the table on Destiny's friends. Hollers filled my side of the table as my friends erupted in boisterous laughter, squeezing their lips to prevent any more unrestrained laughter. Destiny's friends, on the other hand, were extremely angry, practically glaring at me before covering it up with dismay. I turned Destiny beside me, and she glared at me before tossing a few napkins to her friends.