18 | Knocked Down

Lila

Today was the day. The thumping in my chest was pattering against my ribcages, threatening to break my bones. My breath stalled as I strained my sight on the double doors.

The crowd around me is shouting. Screaming. Filling the air with boisterous hoots in a rink that was all too familiar to me now. The cold air was nothing compared to the flood of blood rushing through my veins as we all held our sights on the double doors at the corner of the rink. Our seats were just high enough to catch a glimpse of every player when they opened. 

This was the one occasion that staff, students, and family all showed up to. The legendary yearly games between Cambridge and Demitriot. 

"God, why didn't anyone tell me that Hockey games took so long to start? I would've come later," B groans, shoving popcorn in her mouth. A few fall to the ground, and some even fly into the hair of the girl in front of us. The girl doesn't notice, and no one tells her. 

B's eyes are wide as both of trying to hold back laughs. Okuna gives the pair of us a glare before muttering that we were a pair of bullies sent from satan himself. She was probably right, but if someone had to be given the job, it is better for us than for someone else. 

This was it. Cambridge was facing off against Demitriot. A game that was going to be in the book for years to come as they always are.

Last year things got so rough between the players, the ref was throwing around the different variations of cards so much, he was practically making a rainbow. The boys from both teams went home with suspensions and injuries that day. It wasn't pretty at all. 

That's why the rink was so jam-packed today. Although it's a home game for Demitriot, Cambridge fans have filled our side of the bleachers. There's a distinct level of family within our school. When we're on campus, everyone has their little cliques and friend groups, but when we're here and representing the same school, everyone's there for each other. 

When B went to go get her popcorn, and a Falcon so rudely bumped into her, one of our very own students came to her rescue. Jessica, a girl that used to make fun of B for having spider legs, was coming to her defense. That was shocking to me, but I guess there was something about the competitiveness between the schools that brought us together. 

"You look like a fucking banana, you should probably tell your hairstylist to do a better job, Tweety," Jessica fake-smiled at the other girl while B and I are trying not to burst out in a fit of laughs. The girl and her two little companions scurry away, mumbling colorful words about all of us under their breaths.

It's safe to say that Jessica and B are officially on speaking terms now.

When the doors swing open and the boys come piling out, we all get to our feet, screaming at the top of our lungs. I didn't really know the point of it, but there was so much adrenaline pumping inside of me I couldn't help it. The huge crowd is getting ready to be served with one of the most legendary games they're about to see. I could feel it. 

B's popcorn is flying all over the place at this point, but people don't even care. They're going just as ballistic as we were. I didn't even know why we were going this crazy, but I was kind of just following the crowd. 

We sit down as our boys, the Panthers, settle. The other team comes flying into the rink entrance, and their roar is so loud my ears stung. Touche Falcons. 

"I hate them," B says, settling into her seat after she wipes off the kernel crumbs. 

"You know, speaking of them. What were you doing making out with Alec? I never did ask you that."