Choose Your "One Thing"

When learning how to change your life completely, it's important to remember that this process takes time – it won't all happen at once.

If you try to change too much in one go, you'll likely become overwhelmed, burn out, and then revert to your usual way of operating.

So, conquer one thing at a time.

Here's what to do: Focus on one significant change, like moving to a new city or changing jobs. Or choose one 'keystone habit' to conquer.

A keystone is a middle stone in an arch that holds all the other stones together. Keystone habits encourage the development of other related habits.

In his book, The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg suggests that exercise is a powerful keystone habit:

"Typically, people who exercise, start eating better and become more productive at work. They smoke less and show more patience with colleagues and family. They use their credit cards less frequently and say they feel less stressed. Exercise is a keystone habit that triggers widespread change."

Another example of a keystone habit is practicing gratitude.

A found that keeping a daily gratitude journal can increase our sense of well-being, improve our sleep, help lower symptoms of physical pain, and – get this – improve our willingness to accept change.

What significant change or keystone habit will you focus on first?