"Mila! I'm taking another group out this weekend, if you want to work again. This time we go in my boat, they want to catch further out." He called out.

"I'll think about it and call you!" I said, waving.

I kept driving, hitting all the green lights as I went further down Kaneohe, skirting the water. Terry was fun to work with and fishing was beginning to entice me as a sport...but I had no desire to meet more marine's honestly. Not right now. What I really needed was to hear back from the US Jobs application I submitted. Working in a neutral place would be good. Even if it was on base.

The breeze picked up as my speed did, sending my dark hair spiraling all over the place. I laughed. The sun was out, it felt good to be driving, surprisingly enough, and I had packed some snacks I was excited to eat. A beach picnic is hands down the very best place to enjoy food. It just tastes better amongst the sand and surf.

The road narrowed to one lane on each side and the speed limit picked up more. This was where I always used to panic after first moving here. I gripped the wheel and told myself I was fine. I wouldn't get into a wreck. Flicking on the radio, an island filled my ears with ukulele music. It was peaceful and fitting for the setting.

This is paradise. Where your family comes from.

The thought made me smile again. Half of me came from here. I kept driving, panic nowhere to be found. Before I knew it, I was pulling over at a parking lot off to my left. A pretty deserted beach awaited. Only a van with a surf school logo was parked at the far end. This was perfect.

I got out and grabbed my towel and backpack, tucking my phone into my front pocket. I hadn't gotten a return text from either marine. It was odd. I'd at least expected to hear 'feel better' or something from them. No matter, I told myself, today was a marine free day. If I could help it.

The sand was warm when I reached it. I kicked off my slippers and carried them to a good flat spot near where the surf stopped. Laying out my towel, I sat down and stretched. The water was a gorgeous shade of turquoise and sea foam green. It was a bit choppy further out, which meant no swimming, rip currents were most likely present. This beach didn't have a lifeguard so no warning flags for anything.

I unzipped my bag and took out a Tupperware container with kale chips when my phone rang.

It was Luca.

💋💋

Luca.

Do I answer or ignore?

My heart was screaming answer and my mind was conflicted. Today, my heart was louder. I answered.

"Morning, are you ok?" He asked.

His side of the line was crackling though, making it hard to hear.

"Hi, yeah I'm ok. Just not feeling good." I replied.

He must be outside because the wind whipped heavily through the line.

"Wear sunscreen, it's going to be..."

More crackling.

"Hot today." He finished.

"It's hard to hear you." I laughed.

Then the call hung up. I stared at my phone but as I did, a text came in. It was from Luca.

I couldn't hear you, you must also be outside. Windy today.

He was outside, as I'd suspected. And now I'd given myself away. He knew I wasn't really sick.

It's ok if you want to avoid me, I'll be here whenever you're ready.

Regret snuck in. I should've just talked to him, instead of lying about feeling sick. And to Lex too. This was why I avoided clubs when I first moved. I'd successfully lived here for almost 6 months without meeting any marines, or any guys for that matter. Being a recluse wasn't sustainable though.

I sighed. What should I say to him? I decided to be short but nice.

I'm sorry I didn't just say I needed to think. I didn't want to bother you when I knew you had work.

He replied back quickly.

You could never bother me.

I waited to see what else he was going to say, but nothing else came through. I reread his texts. The ball was back in my court again it seemed. It was what I wanted I guess...but only because I was afraid to open up. The last time I'd done that, I was in college. My second ever boyfriend. He was in ROTC and planned to join the marines after graduation. But once he'd found out my condition, well, he slowly stopped being the nice attentive guy I was falling for. Then he broke it off. I couldn't stomach it happening again. Not with Luca. I liked him.

Can we have lunch tomorrow? I'll be training on the beach, same place you were with the shark. I'll bring the tacos.

I smiled. Ok, so maybe he wanted to dribble the ball, just a little.

💋💋

After a few hours sitting and reading, eating my food, I decided it was time to head back. Plus I needed to text Lex. I couldn't just leave him hanging. He deserved to leave knowing I couldn't get to know him, unless it was as friends. At least for now. I wasn't convinced Luca and I would ever be in a relationship.

The drive back was the same as the drive there, I listened to music and didn't think about crashing. It was a small victory. Once I got to my house though, my breath caught in my throat.

What was on my porch?

**This story is only found on Wattpad. If found on another site, it was stolen. Thank you for reading.💋**