Chapter 2: The Blue Family

Our heads were glued to the horizon and our eyes fixated on the odd but far away movements hurdling towards the now panicked village. Man, woman and child alike all poured from their mauri and raced toward the direction of the open reef between the sea wall, with anxious eyes and thumping heart. The space surrounding me and Rotxo suddenly became filled; so much so that the saddle holder at the jetty port could no longer be seen.

Pushing through the crowd towards us was Announg, brandishing his small tooth necklace and tightly pinned up hair. Rotxo immediately turned to his friend.

"Announg! what's going on?" Rotxo anxiously asked "They blew the horned conch!"

"They're saying it's not a threat. It's other Na'vi on Ikrans." He explained, purposefully trying to show off his deep and daring voice.

"What?" Rotxo gasped, not taking his eyes off the what we came to identify as winged beasts now looming closer "Where do you think they're from?"

"On account of their Ikrans, they must be from nearby...I'd say the forest." Announg furrowed his brows "Ometicaya people no doubt."

There was a kind of disgust to his statement. Almost like he wanted to sneer and hiss and his demeanor grew defensive.

"That's...Toruk Maktou's clan" I breathed out in amazement. Announg and Rotxo turned to look at me and mirrored my surprised expression, Rotxo's mouth opened agape.

All Na'vi children knew the stories of the last riders but we were more interested in the last known Toruk Maktou. The one who united the clans in great sorrow. A sorrow that took a lot away from each and everyone of us.

Where I lost them.

"Wow! Do you think they actually met Toruk Maktou?" Rotxo excitedly turned back at Announg. Announg glanced at his youthful companion and shook the suprised expression off his face as he crossed his arms.

"Who knows?" He chuckled "If he's so big and bad why are they here now? What big threat did the dream-walker lovers bring upon us this time?"

"What are you insinuating?" I asked, sure not to let the croak of disrespect escape my throat. Announg was of higher ranking than me; both as warrior and age and I was to watch my tone and show respect.

That's the reason I tell myself at least, Father told me not to get in anymore fist fights with him.

"You do not know why they are even here." I continued.

Announg's ears perked up at my sudden query "I'm not insinuating anything." He paused "But are they not? They allowed a sky person into their very clan and let him destroy their
home-"

"You know as well I do that's not how the story goes." I firmly corrected, my fists beginning to tighten.

Announg furrowed his brows and deeply glared at me, as he took menacing steps closer. I, in response, flared my ears. Rotxo let out a frightened squeak.

"Don't interrupt me." He barked "Know your place...daughter of leeches." He spat.

"Oh, I know my place." I reaffirmed "Incompetent and disappointing son of great ones."

Aunnong smirked "Maybe you can ask them if they saw your useless parents crumble to the ground."

With that I snarled as we exchanged hisses and flared our ears defensively, Announg beginning reach for his blade.

"Kaia! Let's go see them!" Rotxo quickly interrupted and grabbed my hand "We'll see you there Announg!"

Before I could decline, Rotxo led me into the sea of people. I glanced back at Announg through the crowd, I swiftly hissed back to which he glared in response and crossed his arms.