Chapter 23: The Hidden Sky

Ladies and gents! The moment you've all been waiting for!

Disclaimer: Mild sexual content ahead! NOT smut

Proceed 🤭

"I see you've done a great deal of exploring haven't you?" I observed as I noticed Neteyam's knowledgeable steps towards a direction even I had not visited much.

We had gone past the village and slipped into the the small forest the mangrove village trees originate from. The roots were no longer soaked into the water but now on firm ground. The further we got the thicker the leaves seemed to get.

"If you mean running after Tuk after she wanderes off trying to climb the trees?" Neteyam huffed pushing through the thick leaves "Yes, yes I have."

I followed behind him ducking my head before nearly slamming into the many branches.

"Where are we going?" I inquired "What exactly are we doing?"

"Don't you know what a surprise is?" Neteyam teased, dodging hanging fruit.

"I don't like surprises." I grumbled "And you tricked me didn't you? You had this all planned?" I complained, referencing his eerie sense of direction.

"Of course not!" Neteyam pouted "What a terrible accusation. You can't prove anything." He then smirked.

I rolled my eyes playfully slapping his shoulder.

"How much longer until we get-"

I immediately was given my answer. In the form of an ear piercing howl and the loud thud of a massive beast thumping on the floor.

A flash of turquoise and wind clan like leather skin swayed in an instant with a massive jaw of hot breath mingling with sharp yellow blades. It seemed to be a mouth of sorts.

The beats revealed itself and stood defiantly before both of us, to which I immediately responded by inching backwards behind Neteyam.

But he immediately leaped in front of it with a loud click of his tongue.

"Ah-ha!" He excitedly exclaimed "Here you are!"

The beast ,still growling, perked up and revealed his chest to Neteyam and extended his neck higher until he was towering over both of us.

Before slumping into Neteyam's arms like a child. Neteyam eagerly stroked its patchy head and cooed to it like you would a baby.

I stood motionless in both confusion and fear. Mostly confusion.

"Hey bubba!" Neteyam sweetly greeted before turning back into my direction.

"What's wrong are you nervous?" He observed "Don't you remember him? From when we got here, remember?"

"No...no I've...seen him before." I squeaked "Just...he looks way bigger without all those boxes on him."

As if offended, the best broke from Neteyam's embrace and began to inch towards my direction. Large talons taking large steps until he was directly in front of me, a low growl forming in his throat.

"Neteyam..." I whined, dreading the massive tooth staring down at me from its huge head.

"Hey, it's ok! He's just remembering your scent." Neteyam reassured from nearby.

The beast took a deep inhale at my temples and huffed. He was silent for moment as if he was thinking about what should be done with me.

He resorted to loudly shrieking in my ear to which I scrunched my face. His job was done, and it seemed he frolicked back to his rider.