Chapter 20: The Boy's Breath

Disclaimer:
This chapter contains one curse word and mild VERY MILD sexual content. I'm not even sure if it counts but yeah.

Also play the movie when the story tells you to.

I'm not a liar.

I'm very truthful to a fault. Mostly because I'm terrible at lying. But I do have a way to get around that.

I'm quiet.

I'm quiet and no one really tries to ask. If they do, there are plenty of ways to dance around the topic you don't want to reveal to well meaning folk.

Firstly, identify the severity of the topic. Will it require a great measure of subtle embellishments or secrecy? In this case, secrecy works due to the ignorance of those asking. They only know as much as you reveal.

"What do you mean you're not Metkayina?!" Tuk gasped, clutching my upper arms eagerly "You really aren't?"

"Yeah..." I affirmed, wincing slightly at Tuk's sudden grip.

Tuk cocked her brows as she scrunched her nose. She my head and pensively scratch her head. I sheepishly grinned.

"But your dad is metkayina." She concluded "at least...I think..."

"Yes, he is but..." I agreed, shifting my head slightly "Temloa isn't my real father...I'm adopted."

"You're adopted?" Tuk exclaimed "Oh that makes so much more sense!"

"Don't be too loud, Tuk-Tuk." Neteyam gently hushed, pressing his index finger to his lips.

"Oh sorry sorry." Tuk nodded her head quickly "But...were you born here?"

"Yeah, but my parents weren't from here." I explained "That's why I'm so green." I joked.

Tuk's eyes beaned in fascination as she deeply peered at my minty green face.

"Oh you're right!" She chuckled "I never noticed that before!"

"Yeah..." I awkwardly laughed.

Success. The subject has shifted away to one I'm more comfortable with, the assailant is distracted.

At least, I thought so.

"So you're like Kiri!" Tuk continued "Kiri is adopted too!"

My eyes widened slightly in surprise "Huh I didn't know that."

"Yeah! Her mother died before she was born." Tuk idly explained.

"Wait huh?" I asked, my head wirling at the comical contradiction.

"It's a long story." Neteyam jumped in waving his hand dismissively, aware of my confusion "I'll explain later."

"Ok..." I nodded my head, briskly unsatisfied with the answer.

"So because of that she never knew her parents ." Tuk expressed, running her little fingers over the stripes of my forearm curiously.

"Did you know yours?" She questioned.

Another curveball. The most devastating one. Secrecy and embellishment wouldn't work here. Next tactic would be unusual casualness.

"Uh...no no I did not." I responded slumping my shoulders, after blowing air through my lips.

"They uh...after I was born...joined in the battle of great sorrows and...and it was there where they gave their energy back." I continued, lightly and playfully bouncing Tuk on my lap.