Chapter 16: The New Connection

Our world is built around the notion that all things are connected.

Every plant, every creature, every drop of water every breath and every person. We are all connected by something greater than most of us will ever come to understand.

I don't think I ever believed that.

Of course, I believe in Eywa. The earth I walk is her, she provides and all of that. I knew that.

But I never found myself really feeling that connection with others. Such a struggle to find my place and come into my own, even more so to even find people who wanted to connect with me. Everyone seemed to always remind why they didn't want to.

That's all I could remember. Eventually I came to a harrowing conclusion;

If it was that hard to find someone, that hard for me to become someone, I reasoned it must not be true

worse

I was an exception and a mistake.

It wasn't a thought I liked to think about a lot. And with Neteyam's most likely accurate guess, I felt the emptiness I always desperately tried filling rush right back into me.

Neteyam took my pensive silence as misunderstanding and so he continued.

"What I mean is what you're describing...you don't want glory or praise really....that's clear to me now, you just want people to respect and love you."

I frowned "Love?" asked forcing a nonchalantly tone out "Why would I want...love? I have my father and he loves me and...and there's..."

I stopped myself from saying Tsireya, I wasn't sure if that was true anymore. I became stumped for names. There wasn't anyone else I could recall.

I felt the ache again.

Neteyam noticed my silence "I think you're still being hard on yourself. I'm sure there are many more names on that list."

The ache was becoming too much.

"Yeah well...I don't know if you're right. Father loves me and...that's all I need...I don't need whatever it is you just said." I dismissed.

It took me forever to realize how right he was in that moment.

Neteyam picked up on my discomfort.

"Sorry if I went too personal." Neteyam apologized "I didn't mean to."

"It's fine don't worry about it." I brushed off "It didn't even bother me at all." I boasted.

Neteyam raised a brow "Really?"

"Pfft!" I said blowing my lips "Not at all, no worries."

I briskly turned my head to the opening of the cave, it was still dark but the storm had cleared out.

"Oh look the storm's done!" I observed loudly, dragging my feet out of the water "We should start heading off now, we'll make to three brother's rocks now."

As I stood up, I wiped the water from my legs "We're good?" I asked a concerned looking Neteyam.

He kept his eyes on me for good while before finally standing up.

"Yeah, yeah of course." He smiled "Let's go find Lo'ak then."

"Yeah..." I affirmed, reaching for my saddle.

"Sorry if I went to personal, I'm not your therapist." Neteyam apologized. I cocked a brow.

"What's a therapist?" I asked.