Chapter 33: Adventure Awaits

Despite Mako's awkward dismissal of Korra's help, Korra decided to take a trip into the city to find the airbender. She offered Yuki to come, but the Dragon Child politely declined,

"Going to take a rest day after traveling," she said, waving to Korra and Asami. Finding herself alone, Yuki went to the training grounds that her siblings used. She strode over to the shed, pulling out a long stick. They were used as replacements for gliders when they were learning how to fight with them.

Yuki steadied the staff in her hands, spinning it around. It was heavy, perhaps the same weight and length of the spears that she worked with in the North. She made her way to the clearing, moving her feet in quick steps, swinging the staff around. Yuki remembered the fights more clearly than she had ever remembered them now.

She shifted her stance, angling herself with a swing. The tip of the staff ignited with blue fire, making a brilliant arc in the sky. She swung again, igniting the other side, gripping the wood tightly in her hands. Silently, she breathed in and out, turning, shifting, swinging, the wood clacked against the ground, splinters of burnt wood flying around on the ground.

Jinora passed by the training grounds, hearing the clattering of wood. She spotted her sister in a frenzy of staff swinging madness, quick footsteps echoing through the clearing. She didn't move from her spot amongst the bamboo, she simply watched Yuki. The fire was getting hotter, the heat was detectable from far away. The arcs of fire were like deadly flower petals, airing out into the sky.

Yuki seemed to be in a trance, eyes blank, mouth barely moving as she breathed, mumbled things that Jinora couldn't hear.

Jinora stood there for a while watching Yuki. So much so that the morning sun turned into the afternoon. It wasn't until the sun tilted towards setting time, that Yuki finally stopped. The fires dimmed on the staff, leaving charred edges and a weary sister. Yuki sat in the center of the grounds, forehead resting against the staff, breathing hard. She still had a tight grip on the staff. She was surrounded by little flits of blue fire, splintered bits of the wood all scattered around.

Jinora took that chance to step into the clearing. Yuki jerked her head up. In an instant, the fires disappeared, leaving ashen blots on the ground, and a lovely smile on Yuki's face.

"Hey!" Yuki pulled a small cloth from her pocket, dabbing at her forehead, "What's up?"

"Nothing," Jinora balanced on the balls of her feet, rocking back and forth, "Just walking around. Smelled some smoke."

Yuki looked down at the ground. She chuckled, rubbing one ashen spot with her foot to dissipate the stain, "Got a little carried away."

"Since when have you fought with a staff?" Jinora asked.

"Uh," Yuki gently set the staff down, "Don't know, just felt like it."

Jinora nodded, wanting to ask more questions, but she refrained. Yuki's blank stare expression was still at the front of her mind. The smile on her sister's face was oddly bright, forcing the sunshine through that made it look more painful than genuine.

Yuki looked out to the docks, spotting a boat coming to shore.

"Looks like someone's back," she said, walking to the shed to put her staff away, "I bet it's Korra."