Chapter 9: A Fiery Protector

The sounds of earth discs being launched at the nets, paired with the whoosh of flames filled my ears. Pabu was on my chest snoozing away as I read a book.

"No Korra for practice again?" Bolin asked, chucking two discs at a net again.

"Doesn't look like it." Mako said with a sigh.

"Probably not for a while." I said absentmindedly stroking Pabu on my lap.

Several weeks had gone by. Korra was busy assisting Tarrlok and the task force. They captured many Equalist followers, as the news and media gobbled up each story, rejoicing that the evil Equalists were finally being taken care of. I watched from the side lines in agonizing silence during the council's meetings, as Tarrlok proudly bragged about the good work they were putting forth. Don't get me wrong, the crime-fighting was a good thing. But my plate began to pile up. More nonbenders frequently attended my meetings, peppering me with questions about the task force. They were worried about doing something that could lead to misunderstandings. But the council fell on deaf ears to my reports. Dad could only do so much to help me.

Not to mention, Korra's mood hadn't improved. I had suspected something, ever since I saw the faraway look on her face a few weeks back. Even more so seeing her confusion and panicked expression at the gala. But each time I tried to speak to her, she found some excuse to leave.

In the end, the brothers were left with no third teammate. Korra was rarely there for practice. And while I wasn't able to help them train, I at least took liberties to keep them company.

"Well, Korra's been doing some pretty good work lately." Mako said, blasting a few fire punches in the air. "I guess we should at least be happy about that."

"Yea sure, with Tarrlok." I muttered. Bolin and Mako both exchanged glances. They knew that any mention of Tarrlok's task force was chance for my mood to sour.

"Why don't we go to your favorite noodle place?" Mako asked. "Maybe some of Pok's famous cabbage broth will cheer you up?"

I perked up at the offer. "Actually, that sounds pretty good." I said, sitting up from my slouch. Pabu slid into my lap. "After practice then?"

Before Mako could reply, Asami walked in.

"Hey!" She said cheerfully, "I wanted to catch you for a lunch date?" Mako glanced at me, and then at his girlfriend.

"Oh um-"

"Did you already have plans?" Asami asked, glancing at me.

"No." I said brightly, reaching down to grab my bag. "Bolin and I were going to grab lunch. I figured you guys would want to eat lunch together." I stood up, offering Mako a reassuring smile "Have fun!"

Asami nodded, unaware of my fib, "Oh, alright. Mako, you ready?" Mako blinked, quickly shaking his head from his surprise.

"Y-Yea, let me just change and we can go."

I nudged Bolin, "You too. I don't want to eat with a sweaty pro-bender." Bolin laughed,

"Yes ma'am!" He rushed off after his brother.

Asami and I stood together, waiting. In the silence, I tried to make conversation.

"So... How is Mako treating you?"

Asami flushed, "He's... he's wonderful." I smiled, and nodded in understanding.

Or tried to anyway.

Asami had been formally introduced as Mako's girlfriend to me a little after the gala incident. As the daughter of the famously acclaimed Hiroshi Sato, I really had nothing against her. She was pretty, very well-spoken and incredibly nice to me. Asami was a great person, and we grew closer in the times she visited during practice. I couldn't hate her.