CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Margot glanced around the table, seeing Stefan with a grumpy look on his face. Damon wore a nervous expression as he sat furthest away from Margot.

Both Klaus and Elijah wore neutral expressions as they discussed the terms of their newfound agreement. Stefan had promised to return all of the coffins that night.

"That's the spirit. Isn't it nice? Five of us dining together? Such a treat. Is this what you had in mind when you pulled the dagger from my brother?" Klaus asked from his seat next to Margot, gently holding her hand beneath the table as Damon continued to stare at her.

Damon glanced at him as he took a sip of wine, "Well, I know how he felt about you, so I figured the more, the merrier."

"Well, Elijah and I have had our share of quarrels over the century. But we always make it through," The hybrid said, squeezing Margot's hand, silently reassuring her that he was there.

Stefan scoffed, "Kind of like you and Rebekah, right? Where is she, by the way? Last I checked she was still daggered because you were afraid to face her."

"If you're referring to the fact that Rebekah knows I killed our mother, I've already come clean to Elijah."

"Hey, Stef, remember when you killed dad?... And Margot's. Might want to dial down the judgment until dessert."

"We're here to make a deal, Damon. Doesn't mean we need to kiss his ass for seven courses," Stefan argued. He was still pissed over Margot and Klaus's arrangement, not to mention the whole summer he was forced to spend with him.

"I'm just saying we have a long evening ahead of us. Pace yourself."

Elijah sighed, "Stefan. Where is the lovely Elena tonight?"

"I don't know. Ask Damon."

The hybrid had to cover his mouth to stop himself from laughing, "I'm sorry, you've missed so much. Ah, trouble in paradise."

"One more word about Elena and this dinner's over."

Klaus sent him a playful grin as he held a finger to his lips.

Damon stares at his drink awkwardly, "You know what, probably best just to keep Elena in the do-not-discuss pile."

"You're probably right," He agreed.

"Yeah."

"I guess you'd like to keep the whole basement situation in the do-not-discuss pile as well?"

Damon's eyes widened. Stefan's head whipped to face his brother, "What's he talking about?"

Damon's eyes glanced at Margot who stared at him with an unreadable look. "Nothing. He's just trying to get under my skin."

Stefan glanced at his daughter. He recognized the look on her face. He hadn't seen it in years, not since the day he rescued her. Damon had done something stupid again.

He nodded, however. He knew this dinner was important so he wouldn't say anything about it until after.

Elijah clasped his hands together. He could practically feel Stefan's gears turning as he attempted to figure out what had happened. "So, why don't we move this evening along and discuss the terms of this proposal?"

"That's very simple. Klaus gets his coffins back, in exchange, he and the Original extended family leave Mystic Falls forever. Me, Stefan, Margot and Elena live happily ever after. No grudges."

"The deal sounds fair, brother."

"I don't think you understand. Margot comes with me and Elena's doppelgänger blood ensures that I will always have more hybrids to fight those that oppose me. I will never leave them behind."