CHAPTER TWELVE

The second Margot walked into the Salvatore boarding house after being invited in by Elena a vervain dart had been shot into her neck.

Pain filled her body as her knees caved in. Her body harshly hit the ground as she stared at Elena.

"Why?" She whispered as her eyes closed.

"Grab her legs," Damon told Elena as he grabbed the girl's arms. The pair dragged her into the basement before shoving her into an empty cell, one filled with vervain.

The older Salvatore sighed, he didn't want to do this but it was necessary. She was too close to Klaus. She was a liability, just like Rebekah who lay daggered in the cell beside her.

Elena glanced down at her fallen friend, "How long until she wakes up?"

"We have until morning... That will give us enough time to kill Klaus without her getting in the way."

"... Does Stefan know?"

"No," He answered as he grabbed the human's shoulders, "He can't find out about this Elena. He would let her out immediately and then Klaus will continue to taunt us, to taunt you."

"But Margot-"

"Margot will be fine. Besides, she's used to being locked up in basements."

— — —

She couldn't breathe. It felt like knives were stabbing her lungs with every little breath.

She slowly sat up, taking in her surroundings as she leaned against the wall. Her eyes widened as she took in a heavy breath.

That breath led to a fit of coughs. She gasped for air between coughs as tears threatened to fall from her sunken eyes.

She hadn't felt like this since she was human. It was like an asthma attack all over again, except this time, she didn't have her inhaler.

She quickly stood up, and ran over to the door, tugging on the handle only for nothing to happen. A choked breath escaped her lips as she stared out the small window.

"Damon."

"Hey, kid," He answered, a guilty smile on his face as he stared at her through the bars.

"What-" She coughed, "What is this?"

"You woke up earlier than we thought you would. Guess we didn't put enough vervain in you, huh?"

"Vervain?" She looked at him confused, "Why am I in the basement, Damon? You- You know I hate places like this."

Damon stayed silent as he passed her an old inhaler that had been in her room, "Not sure if those things work on vampires but uh... You might need it. Try not to freak out too much... not sure how much air's down here."

"No..." She whimpered as she stared at him.

"Sorry, Maggie. I really am, but we gotta take down Klaus and we can't do it if you're with him."

"So, what's your plan, huh? You gonna keep me locked in the basement for the rest of my life? My dad already tried that and it didn't work out. Come on, Damon. Just let me out– please."

Damon started to walk away.

"Damon? Damon, please don't leave me in here!"

Her screams, however, did nothing to stop him. He kept walking. She was alone once again, stuck in a never-ending nightmare as she leaned against the metal door.

It seemed as though Damon had taken a page out of her father's book. That page consisted of a single sentence, 'lock the teenage girl in the basement'.