Volume I - Chapter VIII

Start from the beginning

The arena had long since fallen into silence, with only a few voices echoing from time to time in faint support and encouragement. Even the students of Sanctum Academy could tell that the fight had already long been decided, their cheers for the champion slowly disappear as they watched her valiant yet inevitably doomed attempt at overturning the match by sheer strength and tenacity.

Kiana allowed herself a faint smile as Pyrrha pressed on with her assault, continue to single mindedly strive for perfection in each act she committed. While it's true that skills cannot be measured only through battle prowess alone, Kiana still felt a certain admiration for this young woman who stood before her and fought despite knowing full well how outclassed she was.

The flurry of sword and feet moved with ever-decreasing intensity, as Pyrrha once again seemed to be slowing with exhaustion. Her attacks gradually grew weaker and less precise, though not once had she stopped or paused in her onslaught. All throughout the fight, despite faltering limbs and will alike, she remain unwavering in her dedication. It is an admirable trait, she thought to herself, as her smile grew warmer and more genuine.

Perhaps it was time to take things up a notch...

Kiana slide back to avoid another attack, taking a slight step away from her opponent as the tip of her blade inches dangerously close to her face. Then with perfect timing she quickly leaned in and retaliate for the first time since the match began, sending a quick and powerful kick flying towards the champion's chestplate, the rotational movement releasing both momentum and energy.

She watched intently as Pyrrha raised up her shield in defense, just barely managing to block off the attack that had enough force behind it to not only send her flying but also leaving behind a sizeable dent on the surface of her shield.

The force of the kick seemed to have shocked the champion, allowing her to quickly close in and deliver a strike that send the redhead staggering backwards. She quickly follows up with another kick that would have landed had Pyrrha not sidestepped away at the last second. With each movement, she moves faster and more gracefully than before; her attacks flowing into one another like the cresting waves of an ocean storm, swift yet deadly...

But as quickly as it had arrived, the wave receded. Leaping back, Kiana opened the space between them, inviting her foe to gain some much needed room to gather and regenerate her strength if only briefly.

The champion looked at her strangely for a moment before realizing that she may have been offered an opportunity for respite; one which she wasted no time in taking advantage of. She raced towards the opposite end of the field with speed almost indicative of desperation; an emotion clearly visible on her features even from where Kiana stood, watching silently from afar.

The champion relaxed her stance, panting heavily as she took a moment to collect herself. It was then that Kiana spoke up, her voice gentle yet stern.

"You have yet to use your semblance..."

It was a statement, not a question, and one made with such certainty that it caused Pyrrha to pause in her recovery. Her body tensed as she look at her in shock, eyes brimming with surprise at the revelation.

"Y-you knew about my semblance?" The readhead stammered in disbelief. "How?"

"It's not really that hard to tell. The recording of your past fight provided me with more than enough information." Kiana replied calmly with a shrug of her shoulders. "Though I admit I am surprised that you could keep it hidden for so long."

"I-I..." Pyrrha stumbled over her words, still wrestling between shock and confusion at how exactly Kiana managed to uncover her secret. "How did you figure it out?"