Volume I - Chapter II

He had been leading the defense of the city for almost a week now, ever since the first wave of Grimm had appeared out of nowhere. He had fought tooth and nail to keep them at bay, and had managed to do so thanks to the help of his fellow Huntsmen.

They were able to hold out without much of a problem. The city's defenses were holding strong, and they had been steadily pushing the Grimm back. Even the Southern Front had been retaken with minimal losses. But then something happened. For some reason he couldn't understand, the Grimm managed to breach the Northern Gate.

He could understand if it's only a couple of avian-type flying over the wall like before, but certainly not an entire damn horde of them! Beowulf, Creep, King Taijitu, even Deathstalker! There was at least a couple thousand of the blasted things, if not more! And it happened so quickly, no one had time to react before it was too late!

So what. The hell. Happened!?

"Team ASHN confirmed the loss of sector N-16." Spoke one of the operators in a calm and level voice, though there was a hint of panic hidden just beneath the surface. "They are requesting permission to retreat."

"We lost sector N-3 and N-4!" Exclaimed another operator as he continue to type away on his keyboard frantically. "Team VRDT, Team SNNW, Squad 9, 11 and 12 are falling back!"

"Bunker N-4 has been breached!" Shouted yet another operator as he looked up from his console with a look of horror on his face. "They are requesting reinforcements!"

"Damnit!" Denver Garrwood, Acting Commander of the Evergreen City Defense Force, slammed his fist onto the table. "Have the Northern Garrison retreat to the secondary defense line! Team GLDN are to deploy along with Squad 16 to 21 to Bunker N-4 immediately!"

He turned towards one of the nearby AR displays, where a map of the city was being displayed. Red dots representing the Grimm could be seen swarming various parts of the city like ants. The situation looked dire, there was no denying that fact. It was particularly bad around the area of surrounding the breach. While it was clear that the Grimm were suffering heavy casualties, it was also evident that they outnumbered the defenders by a large margin.

He cursed under his breath as he considered their options. There wasn't much they could do at this point. The city's defenses had been breached, and there was no way to stop the Grimm from flooding in now. Even if they were able to hold them off for now, it would only be a matter of time before they completely overrun the city.

Frustration and anger bubbled up inside of him, threatening to explode. He took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down. Losing his cool now would not do anyone any good. He needed to think, needed to find a way out of this mess.

He closed his eyes and took another deep breath, trying to center himself. He could feel the eyes of the other people in the room on him, could feel their fear and worry. They were all counting on him, he couldn't let them down.

He considered his options for a moment before coming to a decision. It was a long shot, but it was worth a try.

"Patch me through to Huntress Goodwitch!" He ordered as he turned towards one of the nearby operators. "And someone get me Atlas back on the line! Now!"

-----

She gave a light chuckle as she watched Oobleck and Port playfully argue with each other, the students around them laughing along good-naturedly. It was good to see them try to lighten the mood, even if the students were understandably on edge. She knew that they all needed a break from the stress, if only for a little while.

"I'm telling you, it's a real hoot!" Professor Peter cried out as he waved his arms excitedly, a wide grin on his face. "You just can't beat that feeling of being weightless for even just a few seconds."