Volume I - Chapter III

The sound of her feet echoed through the alley as she made her way through the city of Mantle. It has been months after the battle for Evergreen City and since then, her life has changed drastically. Gone were the days when she could just walk around freely without a care in the world.

She had expected that after such a long time, the attention would have died down, but it seems like the opposite is true. If anything, her fame has only grown in the past few months.

It was both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, she was revered as a hero by many people who looked up to her with hope and admiration. On the other hand, there were also those who looked at her with fear and an unhealthy amount of suspicion, as if she was some sort of ticking time bomb that was just waiting to go off.

A little bit of hacking into the CCT system even revealed that there was a rather sizeable reward on any information regarding her identity. On top of that, apparently General Ironwood of Atlas suggested putting together a specialized squad with the sole purpose of taking her down should she ever become an enemy.

Flattering, really...

What was even more concerning though, was the fact that she had been able to infiltrate the entire system with barely any effort. And to think that she was able to do it remotely, from the comfort of her own home no less. It just goes to show how vulnerable the system really is.

Granted, she did have the advantage of having the memories of a pro-hacker that was contained within the Core of Reason, but even then, it shouldn't have been that easy.

Well, something to think about later on...

She eventually arrived at her destination, a small bar that also served as a gathering place for mercenaries. It was hidden away in a secluded corner of the city, far from the prying eyes of the authorities. Not like it was illegal or anything, but considering the frequent brawls that tends to happen, it was probably for the best.

The door creaked as she pushed it open, revealing the dimly lit interior of the bar, with only a few lanterns providing any sort of illumination. It was quite early in the day so there weren't many people around, just a few stragglers nursing their drinks from last night.

She made her way to the counter, where the owner, a middle-aged man with graying hair, was busy wiping down glasses.

"Hey there sweetheart. What can I get you?" The man greeted with a warm smile.

"Whiskey, on the rock." She replied plainly, before placing a stack of Lien on the counter.

"Coming right up." The man said as he reached for a glass. "Rough day?"

"You could say that." She responded as she propped her elbows on the counter and waited for her drink, her eyes scanning the room for any potential threats. Not that she really expected any trouble, but it was one of the many lesson she learned during her time as a fugitive in ARC City.

Never let your guard down... especially in a place like these.

"So, I take it you're here for the usual?" The man asked as he placed the glass in front of her.

"Mhmm..." She nodded, before reaching into her cloak and retrieving her scroll. "There aren't too many of them, but they're fairly well-armed. You would think that after all this time, they would have given up."